Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2007, 06:08 AM

Default Re: How much does a $25-$50 donation matter to politicians?

I like the idea, but I am disgusted at the fact American politics has sunk so low ideas like this would be considered.
Old 10-27-2007, 11:28 AM

Yes, it is sad.

Here is a true story a friend in virginia related to me, I can find the news story if you want.

Last year there was a bill in Va. (they have 2 gambling laws, skill & chance).

The bill specifically said poker was skill. Actually in 1 city, Portsmouth, they run games, the D A there says skill.

Anyway, it went through the House committee like 90% yes, the full house only 2 no's.

Went to Senate committee, passed 100%, went to full Senate, NEVER voted on.

BTW, the bill was asked for by the Fraternal Order of Police, who were sponsoring the games in Portsmouth, Va.

Anyway, the Senate President told the FOP, come back next year with some lobbying money, there is no opposition, just you all have no money.

That is the sad state of politics in America today.

obg
Old 10-27-2007, 11:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes, it is sad.

Here is a true story a friend in virginia related to me, I can find the news story if you want.

Last year there was a bill in Va. (they have 2 gambling laws, skill & chance).

The bill specifically said poker was skill. Actually in 1 city, Portsmouth, they run games, the D A there says skill.

Anyway, it went through the House committee like 90% yes, the full house only 2 no's.

Went to Senate committee, passed 100%, went to full Senate, NEVER voted on.

BTW, the bill was asked for by the Fraternal Order of Police, who were sponsoring the games in Portsmouth, Va.

Anyway, the Senate President told the FOP, come back next year with some lobbying money, there is no opposition, just you all have no money.

obg

[/ QUOTE ]

This is also a good answer to the question of what good lobbiests do. There are many ways to both pass a bill, like sticking it on to must pass legislation, and a ton of ways to kill even the most popular of bills.

You can be use our opponets have a team of lobbiests adapt at the "parlmentary procedures" (tricks), but knowing the reputation of "ours" and having met a few of them, I like our chances.

But just becuase we have one of the best teams in D.C. doesn't mean we can sit back and expect them to carry the day. We have to do the work that gives them the leverage to utilize every trick in their play books.

Write every letter T.E. composes or get creative and write one of your own. Make the phone calls. Even more important will be next year when volunteer hours will have the most leverage.

The NRA gets respect because in election cycles they are one of the best orgainized volunteer groups in US politics.

Either mentaly or phisically mark some time off on your calendars for '08 now! Even at about 1 million members we have plenty of members in each CD and State to make a major mark in the political process.

If we do '08 the way we are capible of doing we can get the best deal possible with the new Congress and Administration.

If every member of the PPA only gave up one "sesion"'s time that is a few million volunteer hours, that number changes politics!

Commit yourselves to this now and imagine the future...

D$D
Old 10-27-2007, 01:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]

obg

[/ QUOTE ]

Very interesting because on the National Coalition Against Legalized Gambling website they list FOP as against gambling. Since I have donated money to them in the past, I called to inquire and turns out they came out against gambling 10 years ago when they thought it was connected to the mob. They lobbied to crack down on gambling and their name has stuck ever since. Quite the full circle, their efforts bit them in the backside.

http://www.ncalg.org/Library/interne...%20booklet.pdf

Common Myths About UIGEA
Myth: UIGEA was enacted by stealth without majority support or public consideration.
Fact: UIGEA was the culmination of a ten year Congressional effort that involved several votes of
overwhelming support (including a 317-93 vote by the House of Representatives on July 11,
2006), numerous public hearings and many committee markups.

Myth: UIGEA is only supported by the “religious right.”
Fact: Internet gambling legislation was originally introduced at the request of the State Attorneys
General. They were joined by groups as diverse as professional sports leagues and the NCAA,
several major financial institutions and associations, and the Fraternal Order of Police.
Old 10-27-2007, 02:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
They were joined by groups as diverse as professional sports leagues and the NCAA,
several major financial institutions and associations, and the Fraternal Order of Police.

[/ QUOTE ]

My question is; were Bill Newby and Thomas J. Barrack, Jr. part of the major financial instutions who also sit on the board of the AGA part of the effort?

D$D
Old 10-27-2007, 02:56 PM

Here is the news story from that local paper.
The FOP no longer sponsors th games in a deal with the city, however, the games contine to this day and the March of Dimes is involved now.

Three stories, good reads:

http://content.hamptonroads.com/stor...amp;ran=211875

http://content.hamptonroads.com/stor...9&ran=8980

http://content.hamptonroads.com/stor...&ran=47803

obg
Old 10-27-2007, 04:09 PM

Ron Paul's average donation received last quarter was $40. Eighty percent came online, and totaled over FIVE MILLION. I'd say that matters.
Old 10-27-2007, 07:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ron Paul's average donation received last quarter was $40. Eighty percent came online, and totaled over FIVE MILLION. I'd say that matters.

[/ QUOTE ]

What a joke!

Obama has raised $75,000,000 with out PAC or transfers with and average of about $200, and has $5 Million already for a Pres race.

THAT MATERS!

D$D
Old 10-28-2007, 01:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
USAToday, Arod gave Giuliani 2400. Wish he would put in a good word for us.

[/ QUOTE ]

Another reason to hate him.