Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-22-2007, 03:49 PM

Default kinda a newbie here

alright here we go ive got about 6 months of experience playing poker of about 4-5 hours a day, stopped for a few months because of a move to england but now im back in it. ive been playin job type hours along with my other job(military) anyway i feel like im having a hard time learning. i feel like im just doing the same thing and not getting any better or picking up on anything. how do i learn to play certain types of hands in certains positions and circumstances and things like that(big weakpoint). alot of experience or is it just hard for some people to pick up? anyway im about to deploy so there will be no poker for a few months besides the bad live games in the desert. so im gona spend alot of time reading books and reading online and trying to figure this thing out, i have 3 years left in the military and id like to use this time to get better and treat it as a 2nd job type thing. can anyone tell me what types of things helped them big as a beginner, things that really changed the way they think about the game? i am very dedicated and i love this game, even though i get pretty mad about it sometimes, well thanks for any help i get and yes ill be reading all the articles posted for beginners
Old 04-22-2007, 05:03 PM

Default Re: kinda a newbie here

scam people
Old 04-22-2007, 05:05 PM

I can sympathise with your position (same job). I think first of all read as much as you can on this forum. Secondly all the 2+2 books are excellent esp. Theory of Poker, Small Stakes Hold em. Plus Harrington on hold em, at least the first two books.

Be careful with your site selection. I would steer clear of Pokerstars and Full Tilt, very stiff competition for the learner. Go to them when your a better player. Start with one of the Prima sites; there are plenty to choose from. Competition no too hard at micro stakes although there are some very good Scandinavian players higher up. Also Party Poker is pretty soft but no US players so less traffic.

You sound like your stuck in the weak tight rut waiting for premium hands and never really knowing how to play them. Maybe like me at first your not concentrating properly. Watch every hand see what the others players play and in what position. Make notes they are invaluable. Learn about position, dont be afraid to raise if you think they are weak. Sure you will suffer some bad beats but we all do.

Sometimes log on and watch someone who wins alot. On Pokerstars watch Shaundeeb, allinstevie, rekwob (sorry for all the quality players that I havent mentioned) and there are many more. Alright alot of what they do wont wash in micro stakes but you can see how they play in position and build and steal in tournaments. If you are not improving take sometime out watch some winning players and read alot. Then when you go back to the table apply what you have learnt.

You havent said what game you play but I'll assume its Hold em. Try branching out with the other forms. Pokerstars has some excellent freerolls to practice HORSE, Omaha etc. Stay tight for 30 mins until the gamblers have gone then they are good tournys. Different games teach you different aspects that you can apply to your Hold em game.

Good luck mate, hope it works out. Take care in Iraqistan.

Regards

Dag
Old 04-22-2007, 05:40 PM

The way I learned, and I really think it's the best way, was just to read absolutely everything I could get my hands on. But then, I've always been a book learner.

Also, I'm talking limit. I think limit is a LOT easier to learn than NL. If you are playing NL, I'd suggest learning limit really well first. I'm sure others disagree.
Old 04-22-2007, 05:48 PM

Agree with that, gone back to Limit and I'm starting again.
Old 04-22-2007, 06:15 PM

well guys thanks for the help, i understand the limit factor and sounds like a good idea to me. yes i was talking about holdem but i also like to play 5 card draw. you really think the competition is harder at stars? i actually do very well playing the 5$ sit and gos at UB, usually play 4 at a time
Old 04-22-2007, 06:25 PM

Might just be me but I struggle at stars. UB is good but I find the SNGs alot tighter. Party sngs are relatively soft as are the Prima ones.