Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Video Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-12-2007, 02:21 AM

Default PS3 and It\'s Games Dilemma

I am in quite a dilemma, i am debating wheather or not to buy a ps3. They're alot of pros and cons in my perspective. I could really use a blu-ray player which the ps3 includes cause i have a 1080p t.v. and really want to get the full capability out of it. However i really don't have that much saved as of right now i could buy the ps3 and one game and have about $30 left, which really sucks. If i do get im in the big dillema of what game to buy then. what are the top rated games and what are your personal favorites. I'm not going to buy resistence cause my friend has it and i can borrow it from him, and i already have madden for the ps2 so prob not going to get the new one for the ps3. I think im leaning twoards motorcross or fight knight. or let me know if you think the ps3 is just a complete waste of time and the blu-ray is going to lose to hd-dvd in the future, cause that really suck to buy a $600 blu-ray player and have it outdated in 6 months. i'm really not leaning twoards a x-box 360 at all cause the ps3 is only $200 more plus you get a blu-ray player with it where the u can get a hd-dvd player with the 360 for extra but that only gets u 1080i apose to ps3's 1080p which is the best technology out. any suggestions or oppinions at all would be a big help
Old 03-12-2007, 02:33 AM

Default Re: PS3 and It\'s Games Dilemma

Buy a PS3.

Learn 2 Paragraph.
Old 03-12-2007, 03:53 AM

360 has been 1080p for a while now.
Old 03-12-2007, 04:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
360 has been 1080p for a while now.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, and I think HD-DVD is going to win.
Old 03-12-2007, 08:27 AM

What makes you think HD-DVD will win? Hasnt Blu Ray been outselling it for the past month or so? Once theres a decent PS3 installed base, its over.
Old 03-12-2007, 09:44 AM

personally, i will buy whatever hd-format that has most/all of the dvds as dual-format...i'm not buying dvds that only play on bluray or hddvd player as i like being able to watch my dvds on any player in the house, at friends' houses, on my portable player, on my computer, etc

as of now, hd-dvd has many dual-format discs and blu-ray has none

i suspect that hd-dvd will win out if it continues to increase the number of dual-format and blu-ray does not adopt a dual-format path

i'm more hi-tech than 99% of consumers and i think many of them would be even more reluctant to buy a dvd for $25-30 (instead of 10ish) that only works on one player that they own

people switched from vhs to dvd because it offered more features (no rewinding, instant skip, bonus features, commentary, no degredation in quality over time, etc), not because of the better visual/audio quality...

people will be more hesitant to upgrade just because of visual/audio quality when only 15% have hdtvs right now and u can only play the dvd on one player

it'll happen eventually, as prices drop and more people get hdtvs in more rooms in their house...but dual-format discs being the standard will greatly increase the speed of adoption
Old 03-12-2007, 03:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
people switched from vhs to dvd because it offered more features (no rewinding, instant skip, bonus features, commentary, no degredation in quality over time, etc), not because of the better visual/audio quality...

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it was both quality and convenience. DVDs have a markedly better picture quality than VHS as well as the ability to have a true 5.1 soundtrack. (The quality difference is much bigger than the difference between DVD and HD-DVD.)

As for dual-format, a lot of people actually don't like them because they drive up the price of the HD-DVD. E.g., the Blu-Ray version of Departed is more expensive than the combo DVD/HD-DVD version. Why buy the combo when you're never going to watch the DVD version? (The main use is the ability to play on a portable DVD players, because you'd never watch the DVD version on your HDTV).
Old 03-12-2007, 03:13 PM

u'll watch the dvd version on your laptop, your portable player, your bedroom tv, your kids' rooms tv, your friend's house, etc etc
Old 03-12-2007, 08:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
personally, i will buy whatever hd-format that has most/all of the dvds as dual-format...i'm not buying dvds that only play on bluray or hddvd player as i like being able to watch my dvds on any player in the house, at friends' houses, on my portable player, on my computer, etc

as of now, hd-dvd has many dual-format discs and blu-ray has none

i suspect that hd-dvd will win out if it continues to increase the number of dual-format and blu-ray does not adopt a dual-format path

i'm more hi-tech than 99% of consumers and i think many of them would be even more reluctant to buy a dvd for $25-30 (instead of 10ish) that only works on one player that they own

people will be more hesitant to upgrade just because of visual/audio quality when only 15% have hdtvs right now and u can only play the dvd on one player

it'll happen eventually, as prices drop and more people get hdtvs in more rooms in their house...but dual-format discs being the standard will greatly increase the speed of adoption

[/ QUOTE ]

the number of households with hdtvs is around 30 percent. Aside from childrens movies, most dvd's that get bought end up getting watched once, computers/portable players using hd technology won't be far off. I don't think dual discs are a big issue at all.

I think what will end up happening is in a couple of years nearly all of the players will be dual as opposed to the discs leading to both formats being out there. sony's film properties could keep blue ray alive by themselves.

i agree with everything you said in terms of upgrade. at the moment the only people who are getting worked up over the quality difference are the super film geeks who describe the most mundane things on the discs. Anytime you have to explain to somebody why the quality is so much better, its not gonna make a big impact.
Old 03-12-2007, 10:49 PM

PS3 is really only $100 more than 360, yes you can buy the $500 one and it has more function than the 360 (blu-ray, HDMI, built in rechargable controllers, free online play). Of course the extra $100 is worth it for the premium.

Motorstorm looks like a pretty nice game, I heard it's lacking on features in the single player, but online multiplayer looks tight. I'd also get oblivion if you're into that type of game.

FWIW I don't own a PS3 and haven't played those games, I got a wii but I can tell I'll be wanting something with a little more power, and PS3 is clearly the better value over 360 unless you're not planning on playing online, and don't care about HD, but if that's the case you might as well pick up a wii.