Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > Tournament Circuit/WSOP

Old 11-26-2007, 07:19 PM

Default HPT at Majestic Star - starts Saturday

I plan on playing in the $550 sat. on Saturday morning. Could we get a roll call on who is planning to attend any of the sats? Good luck in advance to everyone that plans to play.
Old 11-26-2007, 10:23 PM

Default Re: HPT at Majestic Star - starts Saturday

I just made a post about this in the b&m forum accidentally. Have you played any HPT events before? I was just wondering what to expect out of the caliber of players there.
Old 11-27-2007, 02:08 AM

I'd like to try the sats next sunday but I dont want to deal with it if the HPT is some kind of sharkfest. Anyone play the HPT recently give some input on the play/players?
Old 11-27-2007, 06:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd like to try the sats next sunday but I dont want to deal with it if the HPT is some kind of sharkfest. Anyone play the HPT recently give some input on the play/players?

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL, sharkfest... I was going to give a witty remark about how live players suck and in this particular location they suck really hard, but insted I will just say the competition in the HPT is extreamly weak.
They get a few people who travel their "circuit" (I saw anna wroblewski at the last one, WTF is she coming all the way to gary, IN to play one $2500 buyin tourney for??) but the majority of the players all get in though the satellites.

Speaking about the satellites, the play in them is really sad. Last time I played in one, there were 2 big stacks with 100K+ chips (avg is like 20K) who started going at each other around the bubble. Lets just say they ended up getting allin vs each other with about even stacs, one had like QQ the other had AJ... They were guaranteed a seat, but insted one of them ended up going out around the bubble. I also saw some guy fold his BB w/ 75% of his chips in the pot, he busted when he was allin on his small blind..

I would say even if you have the slightest idea about how to play SNG's and can beat the $10's online, you will be miles ahead of 95% of the tournament players there. If you can beat the $50NL games online, you have a solid shot at winning the tourney.

I will be going for sure, and playing in all the sats untill I have my seat. Im sure the cash games will be extra juicy too. especially if they can actually get a 5/10NL game going.

I would also like to meet up w/ any 2+2ers who will be going.
Old 11-27-2007, 09:01 AM

Verrry nice. I will most likely be going with a friend this sunday, I'd be happy to meet up GutPunch. Are you staying overnight there?
Old 11-27-2007, 12:31 PM

I played in the last event they had and the above comments are dead on. The number of people who have any concept of how to play in a satellite is probably about 20%. I saw similar things happen at my table where people that should have been sitting on their hands were getting involved in pots. That was lucky for me since I was short stacked in the BB and had 4 limpers in the pot. I caught a FH on the river and took a huge bite out of a guy with an Ace-little flush who could have folded into a seat. Of course he went on major monkey tilt and busted a few spots before the bubble.

In the actual event my table was mostly very tight players with two laggy types that thought they could win the whole tournament by the end of the second round. Needless to say tehy were gone rather quickly. I think the players were a lttle scared and played rather tight for the first few levels.

The one thing that I noticed was how quite the room was. In a typical live MTT there is a lot of noise from people shuffling their chips but here the silence was amazing.
Old 11-27-2007, 10:13 PM

I was wondering if anyone is familiar with the satellite situation from past tourneys. According to the schedule online, it looks like there only a small number of scheduled satellites (that's what they call them, though I'd call them super-satellites). Are there SNGs and or any satellites that aren't included in the schedule? All of the scheduled satellites appear to be of the 2 seat variety (which I'd prefer), but there are some single seat satellites described in the satellite structure description, so I am assuming that there are at least some satellites that are not part of the schedule.

Any insight would be appreciated, as I don't have the ability to play several days worth of spread out satellites, but I would like to have the option to play a couple in one trip. Thanks.
Old 11-27-2007, 11:19 PM

I remember that they started sngs as soon as they filled up. I would call the poker room and ask them.
Old 11-27-2007, 11:27 PM

at the last hpt event they seemed to be running the $65 and $125 sngs whenever they had enough people on the respective lists. so for instance, there might be a $560 mtt sat going on at 1pm, and before or during the mtt they would be running sngs. the stucture for the sngs really suck (1500 chips and 10 minute rounds) and i would only use them if i really had a limited bankroll. the sngs only buy you a seat into the next qualifier ( 560 mtt). imo, the 560 mtt's offer a better chance, as the top 20% qualify, and you at least get to play some poker.
Old 11-27-2007, 11:29 PM

have played several HPT's, won one...the 1 & 2 pay sats usually run continuously...level of play in the sats & quals is meh, very typical for a ME $2500-ish by-in event, or about the same as WSOP-C's sats/prelims.....this event will probably pull in a decent fair share of quality runners since the ME 1st place could pay over $440K if it sells out....