Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2007, 07:30 PM

Default Re: David Wright got screwed

[ QUOTE ]
Voters remember September.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not advocating Wright for the MVP, but if this is true, then the OP is right, he should have been unanimous.
Old 11-23-2007, 07:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Dude, who cares? What are you, 7?

Wright is a great player and he doesn't need an MVP award to validate himself. Those in-the-know don't use the MVP award as a qualifier. We know Wright is awesome. Really, who cares?

The only people who should care about this aside from relatives of DW are Mets fans under the age of 13.

EDITED TO ADD: The MVP award is retarded and just needs to go away, because there is way too much disparity on how to define it anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

But then retards wouldnt have anything to bitch about in the offseason...
Old 11-23-2007, 09:27 PM

Precisely my intrinsic point. The award, if they're going to have one, should properly reflect what it is supposed to stand for. Right now, it does not.

Wright was the best all-around player in the NL in 2007.

That's all.
Old 11-23-2007, 09:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Precisely my intrinsic point. The award, if they're going to have one, should properly reflect what it is supposed to stand for. Right now, it does not.

That's all.

[/ QUOTE ]

By Wright you actually mean Holliday, right? How valuable can you be if you cant even lead your teams to the playoffs?
Old 11-23-2007, 09:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

That's all.

[/ QUOTE ]

By Wright you actually mean Holliday, right? How valuable can you be if you cant even lead your teams to the playoffs?

[/ QUOTE ]

Very? Unless you want me to bust out "How useful can you be when you cant even lead your team to winning the WS since we all know there are only two outcomes in a baseball season, first and not-first." Valuable means helping your team win games. Helping a 50 win team win 70 games is valuable, even if they dont make the playoffs. Helping a 90 win team win 91 is less valuable, even if that win happens to get you into the playoffs that particular year.

The other unfortunate conclusion to be drawn from your argument is that it is basically impossible for any of the Indians or Red Sox to have been MVP because they would have made the playoffs without any one guy, and the wins after clinching the playoffs are value-less right?
Old 11-23-2007, 10:15 PM

vhawk, i dunno. the mvp award is a regular season award, so its actually 1st-4th, and not 1st-4th (in each league). giving the mvp award to a player on a team that doesnt make the playoffs is like giving the world series mvp to a player on the losing team imo.
Old 11-23-2007, 10:23 PM

Default Re: Albert Pujols got screwed

FYT
Old 11-23-2007, 10:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

That's all.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Seeing as how the letter sent to MVP voters defines value as "strength of offense and defense," I would say very if you have stronger offense and defense than anyone on the teams that made the playoffs.
Old 11-23-2007, 10:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]

That's all.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's called "Most Valuable Player". Not "best all-around player."

Of the top 10 vote-getters, three were paid less than DW. Per baseball-reference.com:

Wright finished 4th, and earned $1.25M in 2007
Fielder finished 3rd, and earned a paltry $415K
Howard finished 5th, and earned $900K
Hanley finished 10th, and earned $402K

I know it's the MLB, and $800K is peanuts, but one could argue that at least Fielder and Howard were more "valuable" than Wright, who was paid 3 times as much money.

Rollins and Holliday were a close 1, 2. Rollins earned $8M, and Holliday earned $4.4M.

There are several ways to define the "MVP" award, and most of them suck. The award should be terminated.
Old 11-23-2007, 10:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

That's all.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Seeing as how the letter sent to MVP voters defines value as "strength of offense and defense," I would say very if you have stronger offense and defense than anyone on the teams that made the playoffs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, MH > DW either way, and the voters agree with me.