Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2007, 06:23 PM

Default Re: High School Runner Breaks Tibia & Fibia and then Crawls Final 45 F

I think risking permanent disability might be stretching it.
Old 11-22-2007, 06:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think risking permanent disability might be stretching it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? I didnt say she is going to be a quadriplegic or something, but its entirely possible that running around on your broken leg can lead to reduced function and long-term disability.

If it doesnt then I dont want anyone chastising me when I sit around hoping Tom Brady gets his leg broken. It cant hurt him permanently, so who cares!
Old 11-22-2007, 06:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The only reason that every guy in the NFL isnt a gigantic retard is because they get big fat paychecks.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is idiotic. Not a single football player simply loves playing the game and the only reason they play is for money?

What about the guys who played in the 50's through 70's who didn't make nearly as much?
What about the guys who have been paid reasonably low to play in the CFL, NFL-Europe, Arena and/or Arena2, etc.
They run the same types of risk of injury for the most part.

The guys in these leagues are not just playing for their paychecks. Same goes for the guys in the NFL.
Old 11-22-2007, 09:24 PM

For a high school athlete, who will almost certainly value her mobility and physical fitness for as long as she has it in life, no matter what she ends up doing, yes; it was probably "dumb" in one sense. If you don't think trying to finish a race on a shattered leg could potentially cause permanent damage to that leg you clearly don't understand how the human body works.

The fact that it may have been dumb does NOT take anything away from this story, and is in fact a major part of what makes it impressive. I teared up when I was reading through the story, because it genuinely is amazing (though admittedly not on the Kerri Strug level).

[ QUOTE ]
I will go out on a limb and say that this kid will be successful at anything she tries.

[/ QUOTE ]
QFT.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm willing to bet more than 1 out of every 200 people in this situation would crawl to the finish line.

[/ QUOTE ]
FYP.
Old 11-23-2007, 12:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kerri_Strug

Kerri Strug in the 1996 Olympics vaulted while injured.

[/ QUOTE ]

Didn't she not have to do this? USA had already won the gold, they just weren't sure?
Old 11-23-2007, 01:37 AM

All I know is female cross country runner pee themselves. Dead serious, I almost through up when one of the girls in my high school, which is/has been national contenders the last 20 years told me my senior year. That is gross.
Old 11-23-2007, 02:24 AM

sure didn't look like 45feet to me, more like 20

probably a really stupid move on here part, congrats to finishing though I guess

the crawling probably isn't that dangerous, the trying to walk again part was pretty nuts
Old 11-23-2007, 02:37 AM

She is tough.

Visually, the finish line was so close I think many people would have crawled.

It may not have been the Olympics, but for her it was important.

45 feet is not that far. Crawl across your living room twice!! Bingo.

Crawling for 50 yards or more would have been silly, but most of us have sank putts longer than she crawled. Let's not make it out to be something super heroic.

Also, it might have been more painful for her (in another way) to lay there within 15 yards of the finish line than it would be to crawl.
Old 11-23-2007, 03:08 AM

"I'm willing to bet more than 1 out of every 200 people in this situation would crawl to the finish line."

I apologize for being vague in my odds. I meant one out of every two athletes put in that position. Sure, it was gritty. But c'mon, the adrenaline is so ridiculous in that position along with-the fact that she probably felt a sense of unwarranted humiliation in that sort of position. Instinct + adrenaline in that situation and I bet more than half of the athletes are crawling to the finish line as fast as possible.

A longer distance than this video showed makes it a totally different situation for me.
Old 11-23-2007, 03:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
"I'm willing to bet more than 1 out of every 200 people in this situation would crawl to the finish line."

I apologize for being vague in my odds. I meant one out of every two athletes put in that position. Sure, it was gritty. But c'mon, the adrenaline is so ridiculous in that position along with-the fact that she probably felt a sense of unwarranted humiliation in that sort of position. Instinct + adrenaline in that situation and I bet more than half of the athletes are crawling to the finish line as fast as possible.

A longer distance than this video showed makes it a totally different situation for me.

[/ QUOTE ]
QFT