Your person is themed (Emo,Gangsta,Punk,Goth) 5 3.36%
None of the above 87 58.39%
Voters: 149. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 03:14 PM

Default Re: ***SSNL LIFE THREAD NOV***

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Haha, I remember someone making a thread wherein he took a ferry from Finland to Estonia just to buy cheap alcohol and take it back. Apparently a lot of people do this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, Fins and Swedes do this all the time. But the buying of the tax free booze on the boat is just a cover, they really do this because these cruises are really just a big meat market, and everyone is there to act like degenerates.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

in denmark we have a city that would be close to dead if it wasn't for swedes comming over to buy beer and liquor.
Old 11-14-2007, 03:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone know how to clear a really bad ass clogged sink? The water has been standing for about 16 hours now and simply isn't going down at all ... in the past I've tried one of those shot of air things ( on a different, unrelated sink ) and that thing didn't do much good ...

Do I just get some Drano and dump it in & let it sit, hoping it eventually seeps down & fixes the issue? Or is there something else, short of calling a plumber ...

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you know what's causing the clog? I'd use Drano/Liquid Plumber as a last resort.

If you are near a Home Dpeot or hardware store for $10 you can get a small pipe snake which is probably what you need to use. That is you rbest bet.

If that is no an option then try 'fishing' around the opening with a metal coat hanger and see if you can loosen things up. Check under the sink and see if there is a trap or entry point where you can get all the gunk out. Next try a plunger.
Old 11-14-2007, 03:18 PM

So I'm guna rennovate my room soon (filler cracks and paint the walls), but there is one f*ck-off great hole in one of the partition walls which is about 2"x6" and goes right through to the cavity. How do I fill this hole in properly?

Pic -
Old 11-14-2007, 03:19 PM

4_2_it,

Of course I see your point and I know you see mine. Obviously to a certain extent popularity drives what's been preserved, as does, say, the whims of royalty. But by and large, greatness has stood the test of time-- I mean nobody looks at Michelangelo's work and says "Man, what crazy tasteless papal hack commissioned THAT?"

My point is sort of directed at people who take an attitude like "I like what I like and that's all I need to know. Who are you to tell me what's good?" I'm me, that's who. Music is my lifeblood and I feel confident that my years of playing and listening to it and discerning what's good and what isn't and why are going to make me qualified to tell you something is terrible, and why, and offer recommendations of good music you might like.
Old 11-14-2007, 03:26 PM

nath, while I agree on the latter part, trying to tell people music they like is "terrible" is just stupid, and that's what way too many music snobs are all about.
Old 11-14-2007, 03:37 PM

nath,

I have found that the older I get the more I gravitate back to artists like The Beatles and Sinatra so I agree there is something to be said about quality as it pertains to what is popular.

Everyone has a built in bias when it comes to art, music, sex, food and most everything in life and across each of these spectrums some people will be better judges of what is good vs. what is trash. Basd on your selections in this thread, I'd agree that you have a better grasp on what constitutes good music than most.

I really think for future generations, the Internet will drive what is popular. The ability of anyone and everyone to have their music heard will result in a lot of 'cream' rising to the top. The record industry is in the early stages of a death spiral.
Old 11-14-2007, 03:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
nath, while I agree on the latter part, trying to tell people music they like is "terrible" is just stupid, and that's what way too many music snobs are all about.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I often just don't care to soften the words at all. And I don't actually call something terrible unless I think it's really terrible. The role of the critic, or of the aesthete, is not to universally dismiss everything he doesn't like.
Old 11-14-2007, 03:51 PM

nath,

[ QUOTE ]
I mean nobody looks at Michelangelo's work and says "Man, what crazy tasteless papal hack commissioned THAT?"

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure they could, and I'm sure millions have. Just because the work was executed well doesn't mean everyone will (or should) like it. Most people, especially lay-people, will evaluate the quality of the work based on how well they like it.

I used to be a chef. One of the challenges of being a chef is being able to tell if something is "good" even if you don't like it. For example, I hate asparagus. But I can tell you -- for a fact -- whether a batch of asparagus has been cultivated, prepared and cooked well. Whether or not a recipe has been executed well is not a matter of opinion; it is a matter of fact. (This isn't to say there is only one way to execute a recipe well.) The quality of the recipe itself can even be judged, because certain things work well together while other don't.

As experts in our fields, all we can do is show people examples of things done well and offer criticism. But that's as far as it goes. Whether or not someone will actually like what we show them is neither in our control nor in our jurisdiction. Maybe you're saying kind of the same thing.
Old 11-14-2007, 04:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
One of the challenges of being a chef is being able to tell if something is "good" even if you don't like it.

As experts in our fields, all we can do is show people examples of things done well and offer criticism.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
The role of the critic, or of the aesthete, is not to universally dismiss everything he doesn't like.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that you two are in agreement
Old 11-14-2007, 04:03 PM

Our posts crossed in the ether.
Closed Thread