Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2007, 10:44 AM

Default Re: Nobel Prize scientist - Black people are dumb

[ QUOTE ]
<font color="blue"> The concept of a common genetic heritage among blacks that makes them better at sports is the fallacy. </font>

I don't understand. Why is it a fallacy? Aren't black people on average, bigger and stronger than white people? At the very least, African Americans have different physical characteristics than white people, no? Wouldn't this enable them to be better athletes in some sports and worse in other sports? Why is it racist to point that out?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because blacks do not have a common genetic heritage. This is a critical point and everyone is ignoring it, which is stupid and absurd. There's a lot of other [censored] going on in this thread, but I'm not going to bother with it because I want to emphasize this point.

Some blacks are more genetically similar to Europeans than they are to some other blacks. Different environments do result in different traits - and there are many different environments in the middle latitudes. Most groups in those latitudes are black, because the direct exposure to sunlight selects for protective pigmentation (while a lack of pigmentation helps vitamin D absorption where there's less sunlight). That's it, that's the only thing skin color indicates.

Black aren't a family, they aren't a "people," they just share a certain characteristic that was either common to early human ancestors or evolved independently in many different locations all over the world. Even if we just talk about the African diaspora, which is an idiotic approach, have you actually looked at Africa? It's... kinda big. And it includes a huge number of different biomes. People in different regions of Africa evolved in different ways. If people from Kenya are good at sports, that doesn't mean people from Ghana are good at sports. You can't talk about what "black people" are good at!

Furthermore, because almost everyone in this forum is clearly western, it's worth noting that more and more mixing is going on. The entire human race will probably look like Tiger Woods before long - even if there were attributes generalizable to all dark-skinned people, those attributes would fade out before too long. And many of the "black" people you see are more white than black. Most Americans can't tell the difference between 100% black and 20% black. As stated before, Tiger Woods is only 1/8 black - now you tell me, Lestat, did you know Tiger Woods is asian? Or did you think he was black? If you thought he was black, then you clearly aren't able to make distinctions about race. So can you see an issue with judging what blacks are good or bad at?
Old 10-19-2007, 10:52 AM

Environment?
Old 10-19-2007, 11:50 AM

Phil says: A man's considered opinion is an irrational prejudice? Lammy must know something I don't. Someone please link me to the proof that races have identical intelligence. Because you'd have to prove that to call his comments "irrational prejudices". Perhaps Mr. Lammy lacks some critical thinking skills.

What Phil is saying is this is like the time they put Galileo on trial because his views contradicted religious views in his time and it does somehow seem like this.

Now along comes tame_deuces and he says:
"Ofcourse it measures G accurately, but it's the validity of G that is the centre of the debate - not the tests.

And trust me, that is a common discussion in psychology - 'ok we measured it, but what did we just measure?', and its an important one."

It seems they are both right. So what do we have. It looks like a conundrum.

As a person that reads the bible here's how I see it:

John 8:46 (The Message)
The Message (MSG)
Copyright © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene H. Peterson

A partial excerpt:
Jesus: Why can't you understand one word I say? Here's why: You can't handle it. You're from your father, the Devil, and all you want to do is please him. He was a killer from the very start. He couldn't stand the truth because there wasn't a shred of truth in him. When the Liar speaks, he makes it up out of his lying nature and fills the world with lies.

Galatians 5:7 (The Message)
The Message (MSG)
Copyright © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene H. Peterson

7-10You were running superbly! Who cut in on you, deflecting you from the true course of obedience? This detour doesn't come from the One who called you into the race in the first place. And please don't toss this off as insignificant. It only takes a minute amount of yeast, you know, to permeate an entire loaf of bread. Deep down, the Master has given me confidence that you will not defect. But the one who is upsetting you, whoever he is, will bear the divine judgment.

In the U.S. we have seen black Americans as a very spiritual people who seem to have insurmountable problems as a group. I give you one guess who would want to give a spiritual people all these problems?

Christ wanted unity but foretold division. Seems we have division on many fronts. What's that old American revolution phrase for the tack the British took against the American revolutionaries: "Divide and conquer."

Edit: Btw, I was reading an internet blip on Dr. Watson and it seems he never read the bible. So I guess you know who had a field day in his head.
Old 10-19-2007, 12:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Phil says: A man's considered opinion is an irrational prejudice? Lammy must know something I don't. Someone please link me to the proof that races have identical intelligence. Because you'd have to prove that to call his comments "irrational prejudices". Perhaps Mr. Lammy lacks some critical thinking skills.

What Phil is saying is this is like the time they put Galileo on trial because his views contradicted religious views in his time and it does somehow seem like this.

Now along comes tame_deuces and he says:
"Ofcourse it measures G accurately, but it's the validity of G that is the centre of the debate - not the tests.

And trust me, that is a common discussion in psychology - 'ok we measured it, but what did we just measure?', and its an important one."

It seems they are both right. So what do we have. It looks like a conundrum.

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF? I read this twice, quite slowly, and don't see how your two quotes are even related; much less paradoxically contravening.

To paraphrase Elvis Presley (random specious attributions FTW!), I wish I could walk a mile in your shoes, because you seem to be operating under a completely novel set of cognitive heuristics.
Old 10-19-2007, 12:15 PM

I'm just showing how 2 different disciplines look at a problem. Phil is Science. Tame_Deuces is Social Science (Psychology). Then I'm giving a theological viewpoint.

Understand any better?
Old 10-19-2007, 12:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm just showing how 2 different disciplines look at a problem. Phil is Science. Tame_Deuces is Social Science (Psychology). Then I'm giving a theological viewpoint.

Understand any better?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not really, but I'm sure Phil will be flattered to discover that he's Science personified with a capital 'S.' Must be nice.
Old 10-19-2007, 12:55 PM

<font color="blue">now you tell me, Lestat, did you know Tiger Woods is asian? </font>

I did.

<font color="blue"> So can you see an issue with judging what blacks are good or bad at? </font>

I do see what you're saying and I agree. Maybe I should've been more clear to point out that I am referring specifically to African Americans. Is that legitimate? Or are all people with dark skin tone in the United States considered African Americans?

I agree it's wrong to lump all people with a certain color skin tone as black or white. But I am thinking of a certain group of people with a particular skin tone that tend to be better athletes than those with very light skin tone. I thought these people were called African Americans.
Old 10-19-2007, 01:54 PM

I would like to point out at this point that anyone arguing that negroes do not enjoy both an advantage at athletics and a disadvantage at swimming compared to caucasians is flat out retarded.
Old 10-19-2007, 02:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]

<font color="blue"> So can you see an issue with judging what blacks are good or bad at? </font>

I do see what you're saying and I agree. Maybe I should've been more clear to point out that I am referring specifically to African Americans. Is that legitimate?

[/ QUOTE ]

Are we speaking of 100 meter speed? It's not just African Americans. It's all blacks with lineage to south-west Africa. The fastest runners aren't just Americans.
Old 10-19-2007, 02:13 PM

Didn't know South Africa was so dominant, but I've heard of Kenyan runners. Maybe it has something to do with the altitudes they train at?