Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > About the Forums
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 10:17 PM

Default Politics Forum Split

Currently there's a thread in politics asking whether or not the Politics forum should be split into two separate forums: Politics and Political Theory.

For those that don't go to Politics often, the majority of the threads there center around topics that would largely qualify as political theory, specifically the difference between the existence of a "state" and anarchy (both in society and the market).

Even Iron, Poly's mod, has lamented the lack of "conventional political discussion" in the forum, and very often threads that start out being about current political issues (the debates, 2008 election, social security, etc) are derailed with theoretical discussion, making an attempt at discussing current events largely impossible.

Splitting the forums would accomplish two major things. First, clarity of discussion in both forums. Neither forum, moderated properly, should be subject to any more derailed threads and protracted debates that amount to little more then ideological flame wars.
Secondly, Iron will be able to enforce the rules in Politics as they're currently written. Too often people that make obvious troll posts are almost immune from punishment because they can shield themselves behind the "extreme ideological" stance. Splitting the forums would allow him to properly enforce the rules.

Any Thoughts?

Cody
Old 07-02-2007, 10:19 PM

Default Re: Politics Forum Split

Why not just have OP's start threads with Theory: or Current: and moderate away replies that don't fit with the OP's intended thread.
Old 07-02-2007, 10:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why not just have OP's start threads with Theory: or Current: and moderate away replies that don't fit with the OP's intended thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

Politics lives up to it's reputation as a particularly "heated" forum, and it's not that there is a lack of threads being started, it's that often those threads get hijacked and killed, regardless of the points of the OP. It's a little difficult to describe if you don't go to the Poly forum often, but labels seem unlikely to work.

Cody
Old 07-07-2007, 11:52 PM

Default Post deleted by Mat Sklansky

Old 07-08-2007, 12:22 AM

Can someone ban this douche already?
Old 07-10-2007, 09:00 AM

This thread is a lovely summary of Politics forum.

Someone post a reasonabl suggestion, gets some support and then is shouted down by the ACers, ESP ShakeZulu.

I am deffo one who would be more interested in posting in politics but rarely do because of the reasons OP points out. Bored of the neverending AC hijacks, Nielso's conspiracy theories, and insults. To say Acers don't start the insulting is disingenuous at best. Even when they don't open the insults their tone drags threads to points where insults start flying freely. Just look to ShakeZulus replies in this thread and one can see the tone he takes almost every thread in the poly forum. To say he isnt insulting and a habitual hijacker is self delusion.

Do what you like with the forum, as I, and many others interested in posting, will just vote with our feet and leave the ACers and conspiracy theorists to have there little hate in.
Old 07-10-2007, 11:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This thread is a lovely summary of Politics forum.

Someone post a reasonabl suggestion, gets some support and then is shouted down by the ACers, ESP ShakeZulu.

I am deffo one who would be more interested in posting in politics but rarely do because of the reasons OP points out. Bored of the neverending AC hijacks, Nielso's conspiracy theories, and insults. To say Acers don't start the insulting is disingenuous at best. Even when they don't open the insults their tone drags threads to points where insults start flying freely. Just look to ShakeZulus replies in this thread and one can see the tone he takes almost every thread in the poly forum. To say he isnt insulting and a habitual hijacker is self delusion.

Do what you like with the forum, as I, and many others interested in posting, will just vote with our feet and leave the ACers and conspiracy theorists to have there little hate in.

[/ QUOTE ]

As usual, one of the biggest trolls in the forum is desparate to point the spotlight anywhere away from himself.

Just look at, for example, this thread. Everything is fine until you post, then there's a stream of deleted posts. Iron usually only deletes stuff for personal attacks, and yours is the first. But it's always someone else "starting" it. Please.
Old 07-10-2007, 11:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Link of me "shouting down" anything plz.

Disagreeing with a suggestion and talking about how to solve whatever problem it is isn't "shouting down". In fact, with all your knowledge of politics posters and (apparently) me, I'm suprised you didn't know that at one point when this discussion came up before I supported a split, but others convinced me it was a bad move. [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
[ QUOTE ]
Just look to ShakeZulus replies in this thread and one can see the tone he takes almost every thread in the poly forum. To say he isnt insulting and a habitual hijacker is self delusion.

[/ QUOTE ]
lol, I've been fine to everyone in this thread besides the people who have insulted me. And one of them (GodJr) I am already on good terms with since then. I just got done with a heated exchange with Jogger in the politics forum, but politics is srs bizniz yo.

But what I would love is for you to find one, just one example of this hijacking I apparently engage in so often. Just one, please.
Old 07-02-2007, 10:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Even Iron, Poly's mod, has lamented the lack of "conventional political discussion" in the forum, and very often threads that start out being about current political issues (the debates, 2008 election, social security, etc) are derailed with theoretical discussion, making an attempt at discussing current events largely impossible.

[/ QUOTE ]
I really don't see this at all. However if this is the case I've always voiced support behind sane anti-hijacking rules in the politics forum.
Old 07-02-2007, 11:02 PM

If people don't respect threads now why do you think they'll respect forum boundaries?
Closed Thread