Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2005, 09:03 AM

Default Re: The Ljubljana Conspiracy.

this makes sense
Old 11-14-2005, 09:10 AM

In a related note, the av. pot size DERB wins is totally normal, so the idea that he is generating excess action appears to be a total fallacy.

My general thoughts on the strategic side of DERB:

PREFLOP: The effect of rake is really quite small at 30/60 up. The punishment for playing loosely is probably less than many people probably think. Also, domination is much more likely when playing multiway pots than when HU, so is probably less of a problem at high-stakes online poker than elsewhere. Thus again, DERB is perhaps not being punished as badly for poor hand selection as we may think.

POSTFLOP: He seems to play well from a game-theoretic viewpoint when HU after the flop. In fact, postflop his play is somewhat remeniscint of the sparbot produced the Poki team. E.g. A good level of aggression, which is well balanced between the flop/turn and different strength hands and semi-bluffs, some very liberal calldowns with K-high etc, but sometimes poor hand reading skills. Furthermore, his postflop play seems to be somewhat designed to exploit the most common ABC play: Raise preflop first-in with position, bet the flop, bet the turn, fold if unimproved. His exploitation of this play explains the loose cold-calls and loose blind defence.

As stated before, this is all just an educated guess from a very limited number of hands. I may or may not investigate my these hypothesese further. I also agree with others that he is probably an OK player who has ran very good, but this does not mean that nothing can be learnt from him.
Old 11-14-2005, 10:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
In a related note, the av. pot size DERB wins is totally normal, so the idea that he is generating excess action appears to be a total fallacy.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is a fallacy to think that simply because his average pot size is normal, that he isnīt generating excess access. I donīt know that he is in fact generating action, but he could easily have a normal average pot size. This could happen if some of his pots are huge from excess action, and many of his pots are extra small, from his excess folding equity.
Old 11-14-2005, 10:13 AM

Fair point, but it does stand as evidence against the idea that he is routinely getting excess action.....
Old 11-14-2005, 11:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Fair point, but it does stand as evidence against the idea that he is routinely getting excess action.....

[/ QUOTE ]

He doesn't have to get excess action, as long as he ALLWAYS get action!
Old 11-15-2005, 07:40 AM

Hi newhizzle:

He would tend to get extra value on his more common winning hands. Top pair would be a good example.

Let me give an example. I remember a hand played in a $40-$80 hold 'em game at The Mirage from a couple of years ago. A nutty girl bet on the river and there was an ace-king on board. She got three callers and the third caller had an ace-nine. How this person could make this call is beyond me, but I suspect that if someone else had made the initial bet, he would have folded.

Best wishes,
Mason
Old 11-16-2005, 01:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, but doesn't it matter that he is coming in with much weaker hands on average? You would expect his average pot size to be smaller since weaker hands are harder to value bet.
Old 11-21-2005, 11:48 PM

someone playing at my SuperMonday tourney tonight had the screen name of: IZMETtheDERB
Old 11-22-2005, 12:22 AM

Default Re: DERB is...based on Izmet Fekali Email

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
So, i thought to sort out all of these questions that we were having, I would just go straight to the source. Izmet Fekali.

I emailed Mr. Fekali asking him if:
1) he was DERB
2) If he wasn't, was DERB part of his "research group"
3) If he wasn't part of his "research group", the dose he know who he is?
4) If he still frequents twoplustwo.com

He said that he doesn't frequent twoplustwo.com, that DERB isn't part of his "research groups", but he does know the player.

I also asked if he could shed any light on how the player plays, and this is what he said:

"He is a player from our private Ljubljana game where players tend to pick up ideas. He will make a lot of money frome weak players. Solid players should not have problems adjusting to his play."

So, there you have it. Take it if you want, but, my money still says he's a bot.

[/ QUOTE ]

I had some contact with Izmet and Abdul several years back. Izmet is a cool guy but is capable of spinning so many stories that anything goes. That said, I still put my money on DERB being Abdul Jalib and not a bot.

~ Rick

[/ QUOTE ]

I have to agree with you. This has been a pretty fun thread for me, a lot of history in this thread.
Old 11-30-2005, 04:48 AM

DERB is not Izmet Fekahli. Fekahli's is a real family