The Kinks - You Really Got Me
Pearl Jam - Alive
Old 06-24-2007, 02:05 PM

Default Re: Help me with my cheesy (kinda) guitar riff mixtape

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Guns 'n Roses - Knockin' on Heaven's Door

[/ QUOTE ]

There aint no real guitar riffs in this song + it's a Dylan song so what's the point. GNR has some really cool and recognizable riffs for example Welcome To The Jungle, Swee Child O'Mine, Paradise City these are the obvious songs.

When it comes to classic guitar riffs you can't skip Black Sabbath(it doesn't matter you didn't want heavy metal, you can't skip this), Ac/Dc, Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

I suppose something like Ironman could work. I can't actually remember if that opening riff repeats throughout the song but if it does that'd be great. I know Knockin' doesn't have any real recognizable riffs, that's why I said it's the type of song that could work (the general style) but doesn't have any recognizable riffs. Major props to Bob Dylan but I prefer listening to GnR performing it btw.

I dunno, The Kinks and You Really Got Me comes kinda close, but then I listen to how powerful the riffs in Layla and Satisfaction are...they're song defining, you want to just keep repeating them in your head over and over and over. I dunno if any of the other stuff I've heard so far really hits that mark for me.

I've got a couple of extra suggestions to check out now, I'll check in later with an update. Thanks for the help so far guys.
Old 06-24-2007, 04:32 PM

ccr - up around the bend
television - marquee moon
television - elevation
Old 06-24-2007, 09:09 PM

edgar winter group - frankenstein
Old 06-24-2007, 09:43 PM

In a Gadda Da Vida - Iron Butterfly
Old 06-24-2007, 10:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Guns 'n Roses - Knockin' on Heaven's Door

[/ QUOTE ]

There aint no real guitar riffs in this song + it's a Dylan song so what's the point. GNR has some really cool and recognizable riffs for example Welcome To The Jungle, Swee Child O'Mine, Paradise City these are the obvious songs.

When it comes to classic guitar riffs you can't skip Black Sabbath(it doesn't matter you didn't want heavy metal, you can't skip this), Ac/Dc, Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

I suppose something like Ironman could work. I can't actually remember if that opening riff repeats throughout the song but if it does that'd be great. I know Knockin' doesn't have any real recognizable riffs, that's why I said it's the type of song that could work (the general style) but doesn't have any recognizable riffs. Major props to Bob Dylan but I prefer listening to GnR performing it btw.

I dunno, The Kinks and You Really Got Me comes kinda close, but then I listen to how powerful the riffs in Layla and Satisfaction are...they're song defining, you want to just keep repeating them in your head over and over and over. I dunno if any of the other stuff I've heard so far really hits that mark for me.

[/ QUOTE ]
You Really Got Me is definitely a "defining" riff.

Van Halen's version is awesome as well.