Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Probability
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2007, 12:18 PM

Default would you do business here?

ok so the game is 1/2 NL game...turns into a 2/5 NL game...so 1 guy strattles to 10, and i decide to restrattle to 30. Guy from the cutoff makes it 80 to go...guy who strattled to 10 calls 70 more....i call too...flop comes
6-8-9. he checks, i check, cutoff goes all in for around 250-300..dont remember exactly what it was...anyway the other guy calls...i decide to call too. i had them both covered by a few bucks. so before we run the turn and river, we discuss whether or not to do business...i tell them i have to see both your hands before i make my decision. we all flip over our cards..cutoff has KK, and the other guy flips over 89s for top 2 pair. i had 78o. do you do business here? when i say do u do business, i mean do u agree to run the turn and river twice? let me know your opinion..and then i will tell you what ended up happening.
Old 10-12-2007, 01:50 PM

Default Re: would you do business here?

You are about 29% to win.

Running twice reduces your variance.

Depends on how much you like to gamble.
Old 10-12-2007, 06:12 PM

a) Restrattling {is that a word} to $30 in a game $300 deep is rather meh.
b) Obviously running it twice doesn't change the EV & from (a) you don't have any particular want to reduce variance so it doesn't matter what you do.
Old 10-12-2007, 07:29 PM

the game was actually 500 deep
Old 10-13-2007, 10:17 AM

It's hard for me to answer, because I don't understand why you did a lot of things to get you to the situation, so obviously I don't know what you want.

In general, I do not agree to run it twice. Forcing variance on people is a big part of winning no-limit poker. Letting them reduce their variance free makes them more willing to call big bets with solid draws.

On the other hand, in soft games, I sometimes let people do it to keep them happy and in the game.
Old 10-14-2007, 03:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In general, I do not agree to run it twice. Forcing variance on people is a big part of winning no-limit poker. Letting them reduce their variance free makes them more willing to call big bets with solid draws.

On the other hand, in soft games, I sometimes let people do it to keep them happy and in the game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Holy moly... was this a good post. I've read it 3 times now, and showed my wife [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img].
Old 10-15-2007, 02:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
..and then i will tell you what ended up happening.

[/ QUOTE ]

Other than the exact details of the deal itself, what actually happened doesn't matter at all. It's just one possible result out of X.
Old 10-15-2007, 02:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Forcing variance on people is a big part of winning no-limit poker. Letting them reduce their variance free makes them more willing to call big bets with solid draws.

[/ QUOTE ]

Aaron, wouldn't running it twice also encourage people to be more willing to call big bets with thin draws? Since this is a more likely occurrance and one you'd want to encourage... ?