Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events

View Poll Results: do you think this internet bill will be effective?
yes 32 29.09%
no 51 46.36%
maybe but not sure 27 24.55%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-08-2007, 02:53 PM

Default *****The Official 2007 J-E-T-S JETS JETS JETS THREAD******

I have a ton of things to say about the offseason preseason and season. I am not happy. But I do think this is the best link ever, and IndieFattyMattySuspect was giving me [censored] about not having a thread. I want to beat New England twice. Badly.

Stud.
Old 08-08-2007, 03:17 PM

Default Re: *****The Official 2007 J-E-T-S JETS JETS JETS THREAD******

I love the Jets, but Football is prolly the sport i am least informed in. What happened in the off season that you did not like?
Old 08-08-2007, 03:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I love the Jets, but Football is prolly the sport i am least informed in. What happened in the off season that you did not like?

[/ QUOTE ]

1. Revis isn't signed/in camp.
2. Kendall is being toyed with.
3. We have no O-line depth whatsoever.
4. We have no back-up QB.

Right now I'm mostly pissed about #1. I'm happy about other unlisted things (T Jones etc.) but, really, #1 is inexcusable. The combo of #1 and #2 shows me that the coach/GM might think a bit too much of themselves right now.

But, thinking better thoughts...

Old 08-08-2007, 03:40 PM

Where to begin...

Training Camp Drama:
- Revis should have been signed and in camp at LEAST 5 days ago. Every practice he misses is trouble in the long run. I know that Tannenbaum is trying to sign this kid for 6 years so he doesn't have to deal with expiring contracts on both DBrick and Revis in the same year, but it's about time the FO moved off their stance on this one.
- Kendall needs to be let go. There is no point in keeping this guy around. He isn't going to be on the team for week 1, so what's the point? Trade him for a 7th round pick or just let him go out-right at this point. I also don't understand what the hold up is on this one.

Secondary:
This isn't looking as good as it once was all of a sudden. With Revis holding out, Barrett still on the team, Miller banged up and now Eric Smith out (with what appears to be a serious knee injury in today's morning workout) the depth at these positions is looking tremendously weak. Kerry Rhodes is going to have to be even better this year than he was last year methinks.

Linebackers: I liked trading up for Harris. Bryan Thomas needs to continue and improve if possible on his big season last year. Vilma will be fine. Hobson + Barton + Bowens makes this a much deeper unit than last years, especially if Schlegel can contribute this year.

D-Line: Meh. Robertson at NT again. Kimo will suck once again, hopefully we see lots more of Coleman than Kimo. Ellis will be fine. Pouha could help, but really these guys don't do anything for me.

Chad Pennington: [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Clemens as a #2 makes me a bit nervous as he is probably still another year away. Touiuopuoiuoouiuoiuoipo as #3, standard.

Running Back: Stealing Thomas Jones from the Bears was big. Leon Washington should make for a nice 1-2 combo here. Can the O-Line open up some holes this year though? Houston quitting football was strange. The 3rd man on the Totem Pole now is Alvin Banks and un-drafted rookie from my alma matre, James Madison University. Banks is quick, but like many FCS players there are certainly question marks about his size.

Full Back: Barnes & Tutt. I wouldn't say it's an upgrade from last year, but it's not a downgrade.

Tight End: Chris Baker...yawn. Sean Ryan...are you kidding me. Blah.

Wide Receivers: Me likey these guys. Coles, Cotchery, JMac, Smith, Stuckey. Not too shabby.

O-Line: Kendall and his big masshole attitude and mouth are trouble. The Jets just need to be rid of him and move on. DBrick and Mangold need to progress further. The right side of the line is what it is. Moore + Clement. Nothing to see there. Adrian Clarke at left guard? Wade Smith? Bender? I don't know what to say here other then....AAAAAAHHHH!

Special Teams: This is going to be fine. Graham is a good punter. Nugent progressed well last year. Miller + Revis + Washington returning kicks. The team will be fine here.

Schedule: It's tough this year, way tougher than last year. Maybe some Mangini magic can get us back to the playoffs, but I'm not holding my breath. 8-8 would make me happy.

The offensive line is going to make or break this team. Once Kendall is gone there won't be much there, that means DBrick and Mangold might need to turn into OL superstars in a matter of 1 season. Yikes...
Old 08-08-2007, 03:40 PM

I think the Jets will take a step back this year. Last year the team over achieved.

I predicted a 4-12 season last season.

The Jets have leaks in many areas.

I would feel happy with a 9-7 record, no way they beat the Patriots twice..just no way. Speaking of New England, why do we have to start the season against New England?? It gets tougher the next week in Baltimore against the Ravens.

I like that we have the bye in the middle of the season.

Im looking forward to the last game of the season against the Chiefs. I want to bury that team...because even if the Chiefs arent in the playoff picture the team will still play hard because..they play to win the game.

The Dolphins worry me a little this year.
Old 08-08-2007, 04:26 PM

So we agree on Revis and Kendall and we're both worried about the secondary.

Where I disagree:

DRob will be awesome. Schlegel will be cut. C Baker's supposedly been good in camp, and while its said every year I think given our outside threats are NASTY, the inside should present some opportunities.
Old 08-08-2007, 05:30 PM

Brett,

I hope DRob will be awesome. I think that a healthy Pouha should help DRob tremendously. Last year we really didn't have anyone capable of spelling him. Maybe Pouha+Mosely can be those guys this year? I dunno. We'll see.

I hope you are right about Baker, but yeah we hear the same thing every TC about how good he is going to be and he winds up just being an average TE. Maybe in year 2 of this Brian Schotty offense we can see a break out at this position.

You think Schlegel will be cut? I haven't read much about him during this TC.....isn't Chatham out for a while? I know he is on the PUP list right now. If Chatham is out for a while I can't see them cutting the inexpensive Schlegel.
Old 08-09-2007, 02:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I hope you are right about Baker, but yeah we hear the same thing every TC about how good he is going to be and he winds up just being an average TE. Maybe in year 2 of this Brian Schotty offense we can see a break out at this position...

[/ QUOTE ]

If the Jets focus more with the running game with the Thomas/Washington combo, this may result in smaller role for Baker.
Old 08-09-2007, 09:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]

If the Jets focus more with the running game with the Thomas/Washington combo, this may result in smaller role for Baker.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well Baker's role certainly can't get much smaller...they only threw the ball in his direction on average 4 times a game last year.
Old 08-09-2007, 10:11 PM

I didn't see this thread but I love seeing it.

Anyway, I hate Revis being out of camp, but I like that the FO is not stepping down on their demands (although 6 years isn't really fair to Revis, but that's a different issue).

Apparently Darian Barnes has been a monster in camp and I'm looking forward to him crushing people.

Clemens led a 95 yard TD drive in practice, yes it's only practice but it's the only good thing I've heard about Clemens in 2 years so give me a break. I don't think he is our QB of the future, but it's too early to tell.
I also don't think we can win a SB with Chad, but I'm liking how our defense is shaping up.