Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing

Old 11-23-2007, 03:44 PM

Default when to sell GOOG?

This stock just keeps going up...what is your target price? One analyst at credit suisse said 900, but thats a little high IMO.
Old 11-23-2007, 04:50 PM

Default Re: when to sell GOOG?

generally it depends on the reason you entered the stock. When buying its best to have some idea of what price you are willing to sell at in mind.
Old 11-23-2007, 08:41 PM

I'm clueless about analyzing companies, but when I think of a company with a "moat", Google immediately comes to mind. I'm also a programmer guy, so I guess that explains why I'm also interested in what others have to say about its prospects.
Old 11-23-2007, 08:49 PM

As a programmer I would say hold onto Google. Everything I read about their strategies and technology makes me believe that they are quickly becoming a juggernaut on the web in the sense that Microsoft is a juggernaut on the desktop.
Old 11-23-2007, 11:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
generally it depends on the reason you entered the stock. When buying its best to have some idea of what price you are willing to sell at in mind.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is so true. People always concentrate on their entries but usually disregard their exits. Exits are more important than entries.
Old 11-23-2007, 11:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm clueless about analyzing companies, but when I think of a company with a "moat", Google immediately comes to mind. I'm also a programmer guy, so I guess that explains why I'm also interested in what others have to say about its prospects.

[/ QUOTE ]

They really don't have a moat and their business model is easy to copy. It used to be that the search engine of choice was Lycos, then Yahoo, then everyone thought AltaVista would rule the world.
Old 11-24-2007, 01:40 AM

One thing to keep in mind is that GOOG much like many other companies have had numerous times in the past when they were thought to be over valued by one and undervalued by another institution.

So a better question to ask you self is why do you want to sell this company? You haven't mentioned any other company so how is it after stating you "have no clue" how to analyze the worth of a company you hold this one? Is this your only investment? In other words, saying when to sell Google is fishing for a top. Many will tell you is a hopeless attempt and I have to agree.
Old 11-24-2007, 05:41 AM

I bought at 670.99. It closed today at 676.70. I think I want to sell at somewhere in the 800 range, maybe play it safe and sell around 825.
Old 11-24-2007, 08:30 AM

when it tops IMO
Old 11-24-2007, 01:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I bought at 670.99. It closed today at 676.70. I think I want to sell at somewhere in the 800 range, maybe play it safe and sell around 825.

[/ QUOTE ]

What is ur time frame and is this stock your whole portfolio? Your target price is $825 which is very possible but may take months or years. You also run the possibility of a greater decline in Google before it makes those highs. So asses how much tolerance you have for variance. Sorry but I do not think there is an easy answer ti your question.