Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2007, 07:24 PM

Default 100/200 Stud Hi

Full game at Commerce that is really good. Villain here is probably the best player in the game as he is tight and hasn't done anything blatantly retarded. He's a youngish guy, I think his name is Max. I've been playing tight, not doing anything weird. I haven't really shown much down though so it's hard to say what if anything he thinks of me.

$20 ante/$20 BI. On 3rd there are a bunch of ugly cards with 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] BI. Villain completes with 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] after a couple folds, I make it two bets with (3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img])Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], fold to him and he calls.

4th he catches an offsuit jack, I catch J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] he calls

5th he catches T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] I catch K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] he calls

6th he catches random brick I catch 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] he calls

So river the boards are:

Him: 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Me: (Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img])Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

And I have bet at every opportunity. I catch the 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] and c/f. I considered c/r but that really isn't believable with my board so I decided c/f was better.
Old 10-07-2007, 08:06 PM

Default Re: 100/200 Stud Hi

i would lean towards a bet or a check call.

bet for a possible bluff if he made two pair, and he may call you with a pair of jacks, who knows.

check call if he is likely to bluff as your check sure looks like you ended up with just one pair.

fold if he rarely ever bluffs and you are sure you are right about that.
Old 10-07-2007, 09:08 PM

How live were hearts on 3rd? I think there are only a few hole card combos he can have that can call your board on 6th if he's tight, one of which is A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] X [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. I'd check/call the river.
Old 10-07-2007, 09:44 PM

I agree with you, c/f is best.

Max is probably the biggest winner in that game, definitely top 3.

He knows what you have, so check and pray he checks behind.
Old 10-07-2007, 09:49 PM

If he knows what you have, you have to check-call.
Old 10-08-2007, 01:38 AM

He knows what you have, Q's or Q's up and EXPECTS you to call based on what the pot is laying you. It is a tough spot to bluff, a lot of players will even check behind 2 pair here.

I really don't like betting here because he will only call with hands that beat you and probably won't lay down a winner.

Seriously, dude (Max) is a champ in this game, he knows what he is doing.
Old 10-08-2007, 01:44 AM

I think c/c is the line to take if I had played with him a decent amount and he knew I could just toss what was incredibly likely to be the best hand on 3rd-6th but this was the first time I had played this game or with him and the first time we had tangled in a pot so I was basically expecting him to never expect me to fold.

Of course on the other hand this is Stud which means the pot is bigger so the cost of me making a bad laydown is worse, etc.

I folded quite a few big pair/two pairs during this session that I was 100% certain I could not win, this was the only one I wasn't really sure about.

And yes he seems very good at this game. I'm not the best judge since this is one of my weaker games for sure but he was basically getting bloodbathed all 10 hours I played with him this day by the worst players in the game and he played solid throughout without losing his mind which is something that very very few people I play with are capable of doing. Whenever he did have winners he took what was clearly the perfect line including a bunch of river c/r against the weaker players in spots where it was incredibly obvious he was going to c/r to get max value.
Old 10-08-2007, 02:31 AM

It'd just be so sick for him to value-bet a two pair hand worse than Queens up. So what could he be value betting? It's just so surprising that he bet here.