View Poll Results: Hero's flop action?
Check/fold 4 8.51%
Check/call 23 48.94%
Check/raise 12 25.53%
Lead 8 17.02%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-18-2007, 12:55 AM

Default SSNL, what\'s your story?

I'm quitting my job on Nov 29th and then going to Argentina for a few weeks. I'm 24 years old and plan on playing poker from then on, until something better develops. I have my undergraduate degree and took the LSAT. I just finished applying to schools, but I'm not sure I'll go right now.

But I'm still confused about life. I'm moving to Denver to live with some friends and ski for the winter. I a nice savings from poker, and have made good money the last few months.

Who else is in the 'undecided so I'm playing poker for a while' boat? Who is just playing for fun while in school? I assume there are at least some other 'pros' who play 100-400nl, right?

I'm curious what the story is behind everyone here. If this has been done, can someone link me? Thanks
Old 11-18-2007, 12:58 AM

Default Re: SSNL, what\'s your story?

I guess what I'm thinking is that

25nl is obviously not 'life changing' $

1000nl obviously is

but 200nl is kind of in the middle...we can make a lot there, but not generally enough to make it a career I wouldn't think. But seems to be a great place for a couple years.
Old 11-18-2007, 01:19 AM

I'm in the same boat as you. I graduated almost 1 year ago, and dont have a real job as of yet, even though I do coach some tennis and make a little money on the side there. I used to play alot of MTTs but for about a month now I've been playing 200nl with some success. Im moving downtown Toronto with a friend the start of 2008 and hopefully poker and tennis will be enough to pay the bills. I've got some $ saved up aswell from poker but not tons or anything. I just need to start putting in more time and I could make a living easy it seems, who knows.. I havent been playing cash very long.
I still have never had a real 'full time' job and I dont see it happening in the near future.

GL
Old 11-18-2007, 01:22 AM

I graduate this december and I'm going to go pro for a while to see how it works for me. Fwiw, any stake 25+ has the potential to support you for a living, the problem is just making sure you do everything right. Thats why I want to take it slow and play for a fwe months, see what happens, then either get a job or do this till it dies.

But ya, I agree, this does seem like a great place for a couple of years
Old 11-18-2007, 01:24 AM

I'm trying to go to school for the third time, and not doing well at all.. about to give up. Been playing poker since 2005, off and on "professional". I think I can make enough money in the next couple years to last my girlfriend and I til she gets her bachelors. So I'm currently in life-limbo.
Old 11-18-2007, 01:34 AM

I just graduated this past May and started playing 'professionally' in June at $1/2. I make more than all my friends and can certainly see being able to live a pretty good lifestyle playing small stakes. It'd really help if Congress passed a bill fully legalizing online poker, but even without that I think I can be set financially playing 1/2 and eventually moving up to 2/4.
Old 11-18-2007, 01:36 AM

im f'ing up school and i just got good at poker and i dont want a real job
Old 11-18-2007, 01:45 AM

Graduating this winter in computer science. Not particularly excited about the prospect of sitting in a cubicle writing software for 8 hours a day getting paid 60k a year. So I'm also going the poker route for now. I'm at $200 right now. Moving to $400 again pretty soon. Plan on moving to Vegas with my girlfriend next July, but we're still trying to decide if we want Vegas or somewhere more interesting (Thailand?).

I'm also considering going the shareware software route as a side-career. I do love programming, particularly games/graphics/physics, but I love it because of the creativity and freedom you have to express yourself with it. That creativity/freedom is likely the first thing to be stripped away when working for somebody else.
Old 11-18-2007, 01:49 AM

I had to quit my music studies due to a wrist injury and picked up poker instead in october 2006. It's been my sole source of income since may when I had my first $5k month and moved up to NL200. Currently grinding between NL50-NL200, mostly NL100.
Old 11-18-2007, 01:55 AM

grinder during summer and when not busy as [censored] in school. I'm in my last year of college and next semester is a joke, so I'm basically going full-time starting Dec. 13th.

I'm going pro, but not for a career. I'm just taking a year off b4 graduate school, so basically I figure if I can make 100k I might as well take the opportunity.