Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2007, 07:17 AM

Default 1/2 NL Live - 89s - my play on the turn?

Background: I've been at the table about half an hour. Won a smallish pot. Came in on a couple of others and folded when the flop totally missed me. I have about $90. Villain (loose/passive so far) has me covered.

UTG+1 I'm dealt 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. I open for $10 (standard opening raise at this table). CO calls, SB folds, BB calls.

Flop (pot=$31): 2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] - BB checks, I bet $30, CO calls, BB folds.

Turn (pot=$91): 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] - if I continue with a half-pot bet ($50), I'll be all in. CO could have any pair or any paint. I don't think he has hearts. I decide to go all in.

Comments?
Old 10-07-2007, 09:16 AM

Default Re: 1/2 NL Live - 89s - my play on the turn?

With your outs and the pot odds there isn't much of a choice.
Old 10-07-2007, 09:20 AM

In live 1-2 and only 80 behind, i'm not sure pushing flop is bad either. I think turn is no brainer.
Old 10-07-2007, 09:25 AM

Agreed. I would've pushed the flop as well. You are ahead of everything except a set.

Edit: Actually I guess ahead is wrong. You're 50/50 here most likely.
Old 10-07-2007, 10:34 AM

I might check raise all in at the pot..I want some mo money in there.
But, why are you open raising utg+1 with that hand? Nobody is folding, and you are out of position with a good drawing hand.
Old 10-07-2007, 10:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
But, why are you open raising utg+1 with that hand? Nobody is folding, and you are out of position with a good drawing hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm thinking this is a good spot to mix up my play. I may have been getting a table image of being too tight up to that point. With that objective in mind:

1) a PF raise here helps me take control of the betting on later streets. Depending on the flop, I might choose to check and possibly get a free look at the turn.

2) A PF raise here hopefully makes it more difficult for my opponents to determine the strength of my hand, not just this hand, but in the future. This will be the case mainly if the hand goes to showdown and I have to reveal what I raised PF with.

3) With my developing tight image (so far), there's also the chance I will win the blinds right here.

4) This is a hand that is probably not heavily dominated by anyone that might call my PF raise. And it is pretty easy to get away from if I miss the flop, check, and the CO makes any kind of decent bet.
Old 10-07-2007, 12:35 PM

As played, push the turn. Villain might even be on a flush draw, in which case you are actually ahead with your pair.

But you really should fold preflop. You have a 45bb stack. There is very little in the way of implied odds in this game. You have no business raising for deception with a suited connector from UTG+1. In this game with these stacks that kind of preflop, EP raise for 1/9th of your stack is spew. Save that kind of play for a deeper stack game.
Old 10-07-2007, 12:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm thinking this is a good spot to mix up my play. I may have been getting a table image of being too tight up to that point. With that objective in mind:

1) a PF raise here helps me take control of the betting on later streets. Depending on the flop, I might choose to check and possibly get a free look at the turn.

2) A PF raise here hopefully makes it more difficult for my opponents to determine the strength of my hand, not just this hand, but in the future. This will be the case mainly if the hand goes to showdown and I have to reveal what I raised PF with.

3) With my developing tight image (so far), there's also the chance I will win the blinds right here.

4) This is a hand that is probably not heavily dominated by anyone that might call my PF raise. And it is pretty easy to get away from if I miss the flop, check, and the CO makes any kind of decent bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

All of this makes sense in a 100+bb effective stack game. But you are playing with a short stack. You have very little in the way of implied odds, and your raise is a pretty big percentage of your stack. You need to fold this hand preflop in a short stack game because you pay too much of your stack when you lose, and win too little when you "hit" and play a big pot.
Old 10-07-2007, 12:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Very solid answer! like it