Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-2007, 05:16 AM

Default i am an embarrassment

So after being burnt out for the past 6 months and barely playing, my life savings have finally dwindled to ~12k. I am posting this because hopefully this will help me have some accountability.

I have basically not played at all. I got complacent knowing I had enough money to live without working, and have consistently used the excuse that most people my age live paycheck to paycheck and have no savings.

I'm going to be 23 soon, and I think it's time for me to start busting my ass and making money. I've always said that I don't want to be a low limit grinder forever and that I want to play midstakes at the least.

I'm basically spending too much and not caring that I'm not playing enough to cover my monthly nut. Last month I spent probably like 3k total and barely played.

As I said earlier, I'm down to 12k. For whatever reason, I've finally realized that this situation and this laziness is unacceptable.

I am going to play 6 hours a day 4-6 tabling 200nl. I know playing 6-7 days a week is impossible, but I will not stand for less than 5. I am going to attempt to spend no more than my expenses and frugal entertainment costs. This will not be a blind play as many hands as possible marathon either. This is about making money, and I have to exert discipline and focus on playing optimally, even when I am running poorly.

I'm going to try to stay away from going out to party every weekend. Once in awhile is acceptable, but I have not worked hard enough in the past 6 months to justify the reward of relaxing by going out and partying at the end of the week. Instead, my non-poker activities will be spent constructively going to play basketball and tennis, which I enjoy immensely.

I'm not going to be upset by the inevitable sarcastic responses because I deserve the ridicule for letting my finances fall into such shambles. I brought it on myself because of my laziness. This situation is unacceptable for someone who is not a student and who supports himself solely through poker.

At the end of this month, hopefully I will have good results to report back to BBV. There will be no letup thereafter either. I don't want to be a bum.

-nation
Old 10-01-2007, 05:18 AM

Default Re: i am an embarrassment

thank me later, but dont put in massive amounts of hands. play 1-2 tables and focus on decisions.
Old 10-01-2007, 05:21 AM

jfish,

"This will not be a blind play as many hands as possible marathon either. This is about making money, and I have to exert discipline and focus on playing optimally, even when I am running poorly."

i edited before you replied.
Old 10-01-2007, 05:21 AM

nice post, gl with it all
Old 10-01-2007, 05:25 AM

This is like EXACTLY where I am financially except I don't have the burden of personal expenses. (rent etc)

GL to me and you.
Old 10-01-2007, 05:25 AM

i'll be at ur tables making sure u lose. :_)
Old 10-01-2007, 05:28 AM

at least you are good at guitar hero!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-01-2007, 05:31 AM

i've worked out a pretty good system playing halo 3 and one tabling 2/4 switching when i die or win a big pot. call it cross disciplinary enlightenment or what you will but i never get bored and never have to exercise patience. i plan on doing this until i'm rich and above the law. pm me for details.
Old 10-01-2007, 05:33 AM

cool spot i suggest game selectopm
Old 10-01-2007, 05:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
thank me later, but dont put in massive amounts of hands. play 1-2 tables and focus on decisions.

[/ QUOTE ]
1-2 is ridiculously boring- which leads to playing bad.. 4-6 sounds good and easily doable full time.