Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-30-2007, 01:03 PM

Default NLHE - Requesting a Chip Count

Sometimes when playing NLHE one player might ask another player how much he has behind. What, if any, responsibility does the asked player have to respond? I'm trying to develop Joe Navarro's "Play Silent, Play Deep" style and keep as quiet and steady as possible during the hand. If my chips are in clear view, in neat stacks of 10, 15, 20, etc. do I have to do anything? Or, should I just remain silent since he can easily eyeball my chips?

Trying hard to avoid the Happy-Feet syndrome. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Thanks.
Old 09-30-2007, 01:06 PM

Default Re: NLHE - Requesting a Chip Count

You don't have to say anything as long as your opponent can view all of your chips. If anyone has a responsibility to give an actual count, it is the dealer, but I'm not even sure this is true for chips that haven't been bet.
Old 09-30-2007, 01:06 PM

If you really don't want to say anything I guess you could have the dealer give him a count if its easy to see how much you have. But if someone asks for a count somebody has to tell him how many chips you have.
Old 09-30-2007, 01:18 PM

Someone asking for a count is entitled to know exactly how much you have. So you can be the silent guy, and have the dealer count it. But people may then think you're being a dick. And holding up the game.
Old 09-30-2007, 01:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Someone asking for a count is entitled to know exactly how much you have. So you can be the silent guy, and have the dealer count it. But people may then think you're being a dick. And holding up the game.

[/ QUOTE ]

They are entitled to a clear view of the chips. There is no rule that they are entitled to know the exact amount. I have seen a clear view interpreted as being entitled to a count, but I would view someone constantly asking for a count as slowing down the game,
Old 09-30-2007, 01:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
but I would view someone constantly asking for a count as slowing down the game,

[/ QUOTE ]

I definitely agree with this. It'd be very annoying.
Old 09-30-2007, 01:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Someone asking for a count is entitled to know exactly how much you have.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrong. A player is only entitled to an exact count of chips that have been bet. Your responsibility is to keep your larger denomination chips in front. period.
Old 09-30-2007, 02:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

They are entitled to a clear view of the chips. There is no rule that they are entitled to know the exact amount. I have seen a clear view interpreted as being entitled to a count, but I would view someone constantly asking for a count as slowing down the game,

[/ QUOTE ]

Personall believe they are entitled to an exact count as long as they are being reasonable (if its obvious that the other player has them covered, or they ask so often for an exact count that its obvious that they are just delaying the game .. don't really want a acount).

I have always taken the position that if a player doesn't want to count his chips he can let the dealer count them. I spoke about this with one of my floor people and he believes that player has to provide the count, that if he refuses to count he should be removed form the game.

As it stands I have never had a player refuse to count or allow me to count, but usually they just give an estimate and the other player excepts the estimate.
Old 09-30-2007, 04:10 PM

asked for an approximate count on a guy at harrahs in vegas and he just shrugged and was annoyed... asked the dealer and he said he couldnt count them. i was really just trying to get a good view as the guy at times had some blacks/greens in the back
Old 09-30-2007, 08:16 PM

Say hero asks for a count, and villian is silent. $300 is visible, but unbeknownst to hero, villian has five blacks either under a stack or behind the stack. If the five blacks are not visible, do they still play? If they do not play, this could lead hero to shoot an angle in which he claims the five blacks are not visible if they are even slightly hidden. Hence in order to avoid angle shots by either hero or villian, it would seem that requiring chip counts when asked would be prudent.