Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > High Stakes Limit

Old 10-15-2005, 12:45 PM

Default Re: How did you get where you current are?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

well i think it helps that i dont play for a living and losing 1/3 of my roll over a few days isn't hugely detrimental to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

ahh, the bruiser school of thought. if you could only run as good as he!

[/ QUOTE ]

lol so you haven't heard the stories?

[/ QUOTE ]

?

[/ QUOTE ]

i run as hot as the sun. although i dont know how hot bruiser ran.

[/ QUOTE ]

if you ran as hot as bruiser you would have gone from playing 2/4 to playing 200/400 in a few months tops
Old 10-15-2005, 02:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

well i think it helps that i dont play for a living and losing 1/3 of my roll over a few days isn't hugely detrimental to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

ahh, the bruiser school of thought. if you could only run as good as he!

[/ QUOTE ]

lol so you haven't heard the stories?

[/ QUOTE ]

?

[/ QUOTE ]

i run as hot as the sun. although i dont know how hot bruiser ran.

[/ QUOTE ]

if you ran as hot as bruiser you would have gone from playing 2/4 to playing 200/400 in a few months tops

[/ QUOTE ]

damn. he wins.

but i went from 3/6 to 50/100 in 2.5 months so far.
Old 10-15-2005, 05:23 PM

surprised there aren't many responses of people grinding out the small limits when starting out.

I started out with 8 tabling 1-2 SH and 3-6 ring when I first started playing online and moved up with the 300BB rule for each limit but occasionally taking shots at the big games these days although I have not stepped in the 150/300 pound game yet.
Old 10-16-2005, 12:08 AM

Played goofy nickle dime gams in college

Looking for a fun home game got drafted in a Wendesday "watch the WPT and play poker game"

Got hooked.

Depo-ed 50 lost.

Found 2+2

Depo-ed another 50 (almost lost then, when I tiltly put almost the very last of my buyin in on the river with Ace high, the other guy timed out, I won, untilted).

Eventually I ran that up to 3.6K playing mostly 6 max limit games, then down to 1.3K playing 3/6 full (gg Quest for Rakeback), and then back up to just north of 4.2K playing 3/6 6 max.

Somewhere in there I won 4.5K in a staggering festival of luck/listening to SpicyF in a party step tournment, but that just paid off my car and never hit my roll.

(there's a more detailed version of this in my old "Cards is Fun" post).

ETA- crap, I thought this thread was in general, ignore my tiny bankrolless ass...
Old 02-06-2006, 09:07 PM

october 2003: i have 1k in my bank account from working and am in school, i decide that poker seems interesting and put 50 bucks into party and lost and repeated a few times. after the third time i ran it to 1k, my nl bankroll was at 10k before i quit in may 2005. i started playing limit in july 2005 at the .25/.5 level and then to .5/1. then i jumped to 2/4 full. then 3/6 full, then i learned 3/6 6m, then i learned 5/10 6m. at this point my game is 5/10 6m. but i def am not satisfied with just being a winning player at 5/10. hopefully there will be much more of a story to tell in the future.

rj
Old 02-07-2006, 01:39 AM

Started December 2003 at 0.25/0.5 NL games at Prima, lost a couple of hundreds then I finally got a rush going and won up to a nice bankroll, then all of a sudden i was cruising at 2/4 NL and making money then BLAM!!!! badstreak HELLO BLAM, lost alot of money in a couple of months, got tired of NL and costy TILT because of running bad.

So after a year of playing NL i switched to fixed, cashed in $500 and played 1/2 fixed at eurobet , won up a bunch, played some 2/4, won more, played 3/6 SH a short while, got tired of weird players and jumped at 5/10, felt comfortable and made good money for several months and alot of hands, then I said hey why not try some 10/20, won a couple of K's, then BLAM!!! losingsession hello, went to down 5/10 again, BLAM losing session.... then when I thought things couldnt get any worse Partypoker says "bye skins" and my world fell apart... waited a month to see deals from party, finally got tired and created account and started grinding fixed again, and there I am now, but now im at 3/6 instead coming of a big losing streak at 5/10 2 weeks ago, hello -400 in 3 sessions.... But yeah, hopefully i can get a damn break and win some dough.
Old 04-18-2006, 12:10 AM

Started January 25, 2006 with a DSI Poker (PokerRoom Skin) NLHE freeroll (courtesy of a friend's heads-up regarding TuckerMax as an affiliate somehow). Placed ~200/2000 got $45. I went and bought SSHE immediately and am now re-reading for the 3rd time. I played 0.25/0.5 (lowest available) severely underbankrolled with that $45 until I got to $150. Variance set in with a max of $200 and low of $100. After months of grinding, I said "what the hell" and played a NLHE freeroll this month using the player points I built up. I placed 4/200 and won $65. The next day I said, "sweet, let's try that again." I played a 5+0.5 NLHE and placed 3/400 netting me $196. I've played some more of those NLHE MTTs and have been ITM a couple of times (no more big paydays yet). Now I'm venturing into $11 NL SNGs and $0.5/1 Limit with a proper bankroll of $450. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-18-2006, 12:40 AM

- Summer of 2005 was working in an offsale with a lot of spare time. A couple 2+2'r friends of mine said "here" and gave me SSHE, TOP, and HTFAP. I read them multiple times around late july 2005.
- Around the start of august 2005 I started playing at abs 1-2 sh with the help of a friend's lent money (though I had my own money from my job left over). Within about a month or so of beating 1-2/2-4 (plus 3-6 and some 5-10 live), I decided to play at party.
- Step 1, obtain 300+ bb for specific limit. Step 2, move up to that limit. Step 3, gain more bb's so I can move up again.
- Poker came pretty easy to me, but to this forum's credit I DID (and do) read a lot of material here.
Old 04-18-2006, 06:38 AM

Here I'll chime in with a piece of prose.

Before I had played online poker, I had a little dabbling into live poker. I used to play Magic the Gathering (at this time semi-pro) when I was 19, and in the card club we played at, sometimes with some other Magic players we would play Holdem as well. It was $1 ante Holdem, with $2 and $4 betting structure (2 guilders, etc but translates to this structure in $) Yes, this game is pretty much a crapshoot considering the amount of money in the pot, but I did end up being a winning player there, even though 1 guy cheated, and 2 guys teamplayed. After being about up $2100 in it, I tilted, lost $800 and quit poker forever (yeah right).

Fast forward four years. I hear of Magic players who choose poker over magic. Confused as I am, since these players are extremely good, why would they forfeit playing in a tournament where they can win $20000 over poker? I learn more and slowly hear there's much more money in online poker.

In the end I decide to swap $100 real money for $100 online. This first $100 online disappeared pretty quickly on .5/1 on paradise, while this friend was watching and he assured me that although I didn't play very well, I was also very unlucky. I decide to try for another $100, and end up swinging between $30 and $300 for approximately a month in this game. Eventually I break the $300 and it slowly starts growing, and I promise a friend I will buy her a ticket to a rave if I hit the $1000 before the rave. I manage to break that, and win a $20 tournament in paradise for $660 which was my BIG TOURNAMENT WIN in this pokerstory.

I find out about Pokerstars and Partypoker, start playing there a bit as well, and through MTTs, SNGs and limit I keep on progressing through the game, build up the roll to about 8k, hit another psychological barrier at 10k, and never get past the 10k. I cash out some, head towards 10k again, still can't break it. Eventually, play deteriorates, and after a while, I am down to the last $200, together with some roommates who basically went through the same process. We make a propbet for some retardedly small amount, to race each other to $1k. I don't win, but finish 2nd. After that our game was back in gear and bankrolls start growing again, I get back to about $8k, and I graduated from university. At this point I knew I could beat the games up to 10/20 and 2/4NL, and 215sngs. Decide to give poker a shot, but accidentally get addicted to WoW. During a break from that game, we went on a holiday to Vegas, I win about 12k there with 215 sngs (dont ask) and a MTT score in Vegas itself. Eat the roll, and was down to $200 again beginning of this year. Quit the devil of a game, when I looked at the /played, and multiplied that time with $5 an hour, and realised the opportunity cost. One of my new years resolutions was to make $100k with poker this year, and I had to do it off that $200. Start playing some headsups again on stars, win a bit, take a shot at the $55+5s when roll hit $600, won the first two, played some more, hit a massive heater and at $6k, ran some 10/20 6max, bankroll grew to about 10k, do one of my pokerprojects, which is basically a shot as well but forces me to focus completely on one table, that ends up +6k, and I play some more sngs and full ring. Currently still there, playing some 30/60 when I think the games look good or 215s when I think 30/60 doesn't look so hot. Not doing any NL Cash atm, because I don't feel as confident in that game.
Old 04-18-2006, 01:48 PM

I started out playing with a mere $50 deposit into Pokerroom. I played the .25/50 tables for at least 3 days, learning everything I could about the game. Now, 4 days later, I play TWO .25/50 tables at the SAME TIME, and my BR has been built up to $54. I have never looked back.