Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-16-2007, 06:18 AM

Default Move to 6max?

I did a search but found nothing that could answer my question.

I've been considering moving to 6 max for a while. Currently I'm playing FR 0.25/0.5 on stars and doing quite ok. I feel that I mainly play full ring because most poker books asume full ring games. I've tried playing some nano limit 6max and find it way more interesting.

Should I wait with moving to 6max until I beat a bit higher games or should I just try it out and see how it goes? Anyways, any suggestions/experiences would be appreciated.

Conny
Old 03-16-2007, 06:36 AM

Default Re: Move to 6max?

personally i'm going to wait until i have at least 20k plus hands before i think about moving to fish-max.

but i'm quite conservative. i don't even multitable.
Old 03-16-2007, 06:37 AM

There was this great 100K post post by Marquis, that bumped up lately. Go from there, it has some outstanding links like a PF chart and good advice for 6max newbies.
Old 03-16-2007, 07:48 AM

Personally, I wouldn't start 6max before I

- comfortably 4table. Being able to do that shows that most situations and decisions have become obvious and natural and you don't have to think too much about them anymore. Thus, you can then concentrate on the differences with regards to FR and not on the basic procedures of poker in general.
- usually play 0.5/1. When switching to 6max, I'd always drop down a limit and there's simply no point playing .1/.2 6max. That's just a complete spewfest with very little educational value, imho.
Old 03-16-2007, 08:22 AM

Move ASAP

You get in much more marginal spots which overall is going to improve your postflop skills.

There is a LOT of fish in micro stakes 6max, so if you are half decent postflop you can crush the micro stakes.

The rake is more important in 6max as you win more pots, so be sure to play with rakeback and examine each sites rake schedule as it will affect your profits a great deal.

O and finally, 6max is much more fun! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 03-16-2007, 10:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
- comfortably 4table. Being able to do that shows that most situations and decisions have become obvious and natural and you don't have to think too much about them anymore. Thus, you can then concentrate on the differences with regards to FR and not on the basic procedures of poker in general.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't like this advice... the truth is, there are waaay more decisions to make in shorter periods of time in 6-max than there are in FR. Don't go to 6-max thinking you know the gist of poker and you'll do just fine. Rarely are situations obvious or natural. If you want to become good, you have to think about every move you make there because in reality, every situation is different. Your opponents are different, your position, your cards, the boards cards, etc. Learning how to adjust is imperative in 6-max, or you'll just be another one of my fish at the table.
Old 03-16-2007, 10:47 AM

Yes, 6-max is the way. If you move from full ring to micro 6-max you will wonder why you stayed there so long. Honestly, UTG limping, yes.
Old 03-16-2007, 11:32 AM

I have been playing at 6 max for about 25k hands now in the last 3 months or so. My experience has been at low and very low stakes. So I can't speak to higher levels. Early results taught me I needed to learn to play better. Recent results are better but I am a long way from being any good. It really has been kind of free money at .10/.20 though and not real difficult at .25/.50 so far either. I expect the levels get tougher as you move up though just like FR or anything else.

Specifically: I usually play about 22% up to 28% or so of hands preflop. Raise about half of that in position. Value bet like mad. Rarely bluff. Forget isolation raises (at low stakes I mean) Play lots of SC because you will get lots of action usually. Play em tight after the flop. You still need pot odds to draw. I don't play missed overcards or small and medium pairs past the flop much either.

People do crazy things. I had a guy stay with me to the river the other day when I had a set of K's I had been playing very aggressively. He then bet and 3 bet his 5th pair(in the pocket) into 2 players on the river, into a 4 OC board with flush and straight possibilities. Suicide plays like that by my opponents help me win while still learning [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Pot size in games like this will cover a lot of learning curve mistakes!!! Do it. 6 max is good. BTW I don't care for the multi-tabling approach. My thinking is better reads are worth an extra table or 2 any time.

Wookie had a great post about 6 max quite a while back. Terrific stuff. I don't know how to put in a link but look up:

Pooh-Bah Dissertation - 6 Max Stats FAQ
Old 03-16-2007, 11:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't like this advice... the truth is, there are waaay more decisions to make in shorter periods of time in 6-max than there are in FR. Don't go to 6-max thinking you know the gist of poker and you'll do just fine. Rarely are situations obvious or natural. If you want to become good, you have to think about every move you make there because in reality, every situation is different. Your opponents are different, your position, your cards, the boards cards, etc. Learning how to adjust is imperative in 6-max, or you'll just be another one of my fish at the table.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, but I thought I kinda said the same? Because there are so many more decisions to make, you shouldn't be thinking anymore whether you should 3bet AKo pf or not. Such that you can concentrate on everything else.
Old 03-16-2007, 01:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Personally, I wouldn't start 6max before I

[/ QUOTE ]

Multitabling pretty much has nothing to do w/ how you'll do at 6max. I agree w/ Snitch, if I'm remembering who disagreed w/ you.

An argument could be made that the more you multi-table, the less you are readying yourself for 6M, because the things you need to excel at 6M are getting and using reads, something that loses focus when multi-tabling.

As far as the differences betwen FR and 6M. The game is the same, you are just forced to be in steal, blind defend and HU situations much more often than an FR table.