Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-13-2007, 10:47 PM

Default top pair on a 3-flush board

This guy is aggressive, but maybe goes a little too far post-flop (26/14.5/1.8.)

PokerStars 0.50/1.00 Hold'em (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls, MP calls.

Flop: (6 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, MP calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, BB calls, MP calls.

This might have been a good place to wait for the turn since I can't fold anybody, but I'm sure I have an equity edge here.

Turn: (7.50 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, MP folds.

Just folding seemed weak, but the clubs were this guys most likely hand.

River: (9.50 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, Hero folds.

Ya, the river is bad, but let's talk about the rest of the hand.
Old 03-13-2007, 10:53 PM

Default Re: top pair on a 3-flush board

My usual line is to wait for a safe turn card before raising. I dunno if that's correct or not... makes sense to me, but maybe this is something I need to unlearn.
Old 03-13-2007, 10:56 PM

DUDE!

on the flop ... i don't think you ever have equity here (you might need some maths to prove this) - if villains have one over card and a club you are toast (villain will have just over 51% here ...) also note the board is just not full flushed - it's also highly connected (giving players gut shots+overs+FD)

also - the pot isn't really all that big ... the only thing that makes it a sizable amount on the turn is your flop 3bet

also, it doesn't get much worse than the T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] hitting the turn
Old 03-13-2007, 10:58 PM

I wouldn't 3-bet this flop. You have an edge if you are ahead, but it's rather small as pretty much half the deck is bad for you on the turn (overcards, any club, and straight cards). I call and reevaluate the turn based on what falls.

Given that the turn card is bad for you hand and completes many hands in your villains' ranges, I'm not sure why you decided to bet. I check and see.

Bet/folding the river is okay as villain seldom bluff raises this board.
Old 03-13-2007, 10:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't 3-bet this flop. You have an edge if you are ahead, but it's rather small as pretty much half the deck is bad for you on the turn (overcards, any club, and straight cards). I call and reevaluate the turn based on what falls.

Given that the turn card is bad for you hand and completes many hands in your villains' ranges, I'm not sure why you decided to bet. I check and see.

Bet/folding the river is okay as villain seldom bluff raises this board.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
if you think half the deck is bad - then how can you say you have an 'edge'
Old 03-13-2007, 11:01 PM

Call me a pussy, but I'm not a big fan of the preflop raise. I guess you are trying to get it heads-up.

I can see the way I play this hand as complete preflop, check-and-see the flop in what is now a much smaller pot. I dunno, I just hate playing out of position.
Old 03-13-2007, 11:04 PM

Dude, you're forgetting about the calling station:

903 games 0.005 secs 180,600 games/sec

Board: 7c 9c 5c
Dead:

equity win tie pots won pots tied
Hand 0: 43.891% 42.97% 00.92% 388 8.33 { As9s }
Hand 1: 48.763% 48.50% 00.26% 438 2.33 { Ac6d }
Hand 2: 07.346% 06.42% 00.92% 58 8.33 { Kh9h }

But, there are a lot of other holdings for these guys and I think you're right that my equity advantage is probably thin and will change a lot on the turn.
Old 03-13-2007, 11:06 PM

I think the raise pre-flop is standard. I wanted to get it heads up against the limper. But, you're right that if I'm going to play post-flop like this I should probably fold.
Old 03-13-2007, 11:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think the raise pre-flop is standard. I wanted to get it heads up against the limper. But, you're right that if I'm going to play post-flop like this I should probably fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, pre flop - is easy raise ... maybe [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] (if bb is a goof I really don't want to play OOP against a 'goof' and mp)
Old 03-13-2007, 11:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if you think half the deck is bad - then how can you say you have an 'edge'

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, it's not quite half the deck; I was using a rough estimate [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] . Though, since our share of the pot against two opponents is 1/3 we do not need to win this hand nearly half the time to have an edge.