Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes

Old 11-30-2007, 04:38 AM

Default 99 Squeeze against TAG and Donk

UTG is a 22/17 standard TAG. MP is 54/20/4 and every bit as retarded as his stats imply. I'm running at ~25/21 and haven't 3 bet much at this table. PF I figured UTG would fold 75%+ and MP would fold maybe 40%.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $1.00 BB (5 handed) Poker Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Hero ($127.55)
UTG ($99)
MP ($102.65)
Button ($12.95)
SB ($86.75)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $4</font>, MP calls $4, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $14</font>, UTG calls $10, MP calls $10.

Flop: ($42.50) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP bets $11</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $40</font>

I planned on snap-calling a shove from MP and folding to a shove from UTG. I raised to 40 rather than 30 because I felt UTG might fold a few better hands that he would push over a smaller raise if I look like I'm commiting, since I haven't been too out of line preflop thus far at the table.
I also thought 30 would make my hand look too much like what it is.
Old 11-30-2007, 04:44 AM

Default Re: 99 Squeeze against TAG and Donk

id prefer to bet the flop, as played i might just call flop to try and keep the pot small and get to showdown cheaply.
Old 11-30-2007, 04:47 AM

Raise more preflop. Id make it 18 at least.

And yeah, I am betting the flop for sure.
Old 11-30-2007, 04:54 AM

PF, I think UTG's calling range is TT+ AK and maybe AQs or AJs with these stacks. Is this too tight a range to put him on? I also figured he'd only even consider 4-betting QQ, and probably just flat calls his entire range to keep the donk in the pot. I didn't like my hand much at all on the flop until he checked. I felt that given the pot size and UTG's likely range, a bet would be spewy.
Old 11-30-2007, 05:31 AM

I dunno I usually prefer a PF call because we close the action and are guranteed to play a pot with the donk + we should be able to put UTG on a fairly narrow range.
I also don't enjoy playing 3bet pots OOP vs a TAG that has a strong range (or having to fold to a RR by TAG)
99 is just too nice a hand to "waste" o a 3bet there imo.

If it was the other way around, i.e. donk raises, TAG calls, maybe.
Old 11-30-2007, 05:51 AM

i dont get your flop action at all. MP is not folding any J. and once you raise that big you pretty mcuh have to call a shove, which sucks imo
Old 11-30-2007, 06:03 AM

i hate the 3b pf. utg probably has a fairly tight raising range. you're getting more than enough of a price to call, and mega implied odds against a donk and a guy that will have a big hand a reasonable ammount of the time. when i'm the other reg in this situation, i'm always cheering for the donk, because it pisses me off.
Old 11-30-2007, 06:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i hate the 3b pf. utg probably has a fairly tight raising range. you're getting more than enough of a price to call, and mega implied odds against a donk and a guy that will have a big hand a reasonable ammount of the time. when i'm the other reg in this situation, i'm always cheering for the donk, because I want him to have a huge stack and I want the other reg to leave.

[/ QUOTE ]
FYP :P
Old 11-30-2007, 06:09 AM

well, that too
Old 11-30-2007, 06:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i dont get your flop action at all. MP is not folding any J. and once you raise that big you pretty mcuh have to call a shove, which sucks imo

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not a bluff. I think he stacks off with any pair and any draw (including gutshots). He's only folding hands that have nothing whatsoever to do with the board. I also felt like he'd bet more than 1/4 pot with top pair.