Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Video Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-24-2007, 06:12 PM

Default Re: IGN Top 100

Mario 64 should be like number 99. It was a great game when it came out and was revolutionary, but it's borderline unplayable now because of the camera angles.
Old 11-24-2007, 07:47 PM

Those of us who talk about how revolutionary a game is are simply trying to consider a game in its time when it came out. Obviously games are going to get better over time as more improvements are made to graphics, physics engines, camera angles, etc... However, we're giving bonus points if a game was the first of its kind to include something, like Goldeneye being the first to include that type of multiplayer for a FPS. If the game is flat out the best 100 games, then it should be mostly recent games because improvements are constantly being made, but some of us are trying to recognize which games we loved playing the most, and those are older games for some of us.
Old 11-24-2007, 07:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
76. Final Fantasy VII

alright this is unacceptable, i am not reading any further

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT
Old 11-24-2007, 10:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
like Goldeneye being the first to include that type of multiplayer for a FPS on a console

[/ QUOTE ]

Doom came out in 1993 and had multiplayer. Quake came out in 1996 and allowed the development of 27 different kinds of mods which extended multiplayer gameplay way farther than anything Goldeneye did.
Old 11-24-2007, 11:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Those of us who talk about how revolutionary a game is are simply trying to consider a game in its time when it came out. Obviously games are going to get better over time as more improvements are made to graphics, physics engines, camera angles, etc... However, we're giving bonus points if a game was the first of its kind to include something, like Goldeneye being the first to include that type of multiplayer for a FPS. If the game is flat out the best 100 games, then it should be mostly recent games because improvements are constantly being made, but some of us are trying to recognize which games we loved playing the most, and those are older games for some of us.

[/ QUOTE ]
Have to consider appeal too. Not everyone can be interested in the countless FPS games out there today, RPG's, these incredibly detailed strategy games, etc. A game like the original Mario Bros is practically a universe language.
Old 11-25-2007, 06:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
like Goldeneye being the first to include that type of multiplayer for a FPS on a console

[/ QUOTE ]

Doom came out in 1993 and had multiplayer. Quake came out in 1996 and allowed the development of 27 different kinds of mods which extended multiplayer gameplay way farther than anything Goldeneye did.

[/ QUOTE ]

PC FPSes don't get enough respect, eh. Goldeneye and Halo really aren't that incredible (esp Halo), coming from a gamer with a long history of PC FPS. I wouldn't rate Halo more than an 8/10 at best. Most console mags give it a 10, most citing the multiplayer as the main reason.
Old 11-26-2007, 12:58 PM

I have a feeling that they are going to end up with Super Mario World 2 above SMW 1. Which is really odd IMO.
Old 11-26-2007, 01:58 PM

50-40: No major gripes here, I think God of War might be a little high, I wasn't that impressed by the game. I know I'm a huge Guitar Hero Fan, but I think GH2 might be a little low on the list given its widespread appeal.
Old 11-26-2007, 03:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have a feeling that they are going to end up with Super Mario World 2 above SMW 1. Which is really odd IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah I think SMW1 will be on there.
Old 11-26-2007, 03:40 PM

Neat list - hopefully 7 Cities of Gold, Zork & MULE show up in the top twenty... Wonder if they'll put in Spy Hunter - loved that game in the arcade.