Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2007, 04:16 PM

Default Re: this one time i flopped a combo draw

Yeah, i think a call is pointless. Lets say we call.
scenario 1) Turn is blank. 100% of the time villain pushes, and we must call.
scenario 2) Turn is a diamond or a 4. He checks and we push, and villain calls btwn 85%-100 of the time.

Concl. we get no image benefit for playing the hand aggressive and we take a small chance we dont get paid when we hit.
Old 10-17-2007, 05:04 PM

I check this flop a reasonable %age of the time with hands such as this.
Old 10-17-2007, 05:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I check this flop a reasonable %age of the time with hands such as this.

[/ QUOTE ]

because....?
Old 10-17-2007, 05:17 PM

one other thing is imo its worth it 2 play a high variance game in close spots in live games to build a stack
Old 10-17-2007, 05:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If your not getting it all in here you have to ask yourself why you are playing the hand to start with , as this is just the flop you wanted
Just shove it

[/ QUOTE ]

people keep using this "logic" and it's so completely retarded and wrong, i'm too exasperated to explain why (seriously, figure it out on your own)
Old 10-17-2007, 05:57 PM

is there any way your opponent is making a move or trapping with a marginal hand that he perceives as best because he thinks you are weak or on some sort of laggy play? otherwise, not much of an overlay to a shove since villain has committed himself with check-raise and i don't think a decent ace folds to a shove on that board. is there anything wrong with smooth-calling? you are getting 2 to 1 to call, and if you call and hit, with only 200 left your opponent is already committed, so you have 4 to 1 on the call including implied odds and you are 3 to 1 to hit on the next card assuming all your outs are good. if you don't think your two pair or trips are good, then is there anything wrong with folding since without the extra outs or any fold equity you just don't have to odds to continue? you've only committed 65 so far.
Old 10-17-2007, 06:15 PM

Thanks for your input must read all of your replies so helpfull .
I said this is how I would play it fine you have a different way explain dont just "blah blah blah " I dont get why you even bother posting if thats all you have to say
Old 10-17-2007, 06:17 PM

it really looks like in this situation shoving is a break-even play - perhaps better than losing the 65 already invested, but if you are concerned at all with variance, you might prefer to lose the 65
Old 10-17-2007, 06:42 PM

Against htis villain, there was zero FE, and I knew that at the time. I was very sure he ahd AJ and I still beleive with the support of others replies (thank you) that a shove is marginally better than a fold and a call is bad for the reasons I wrote earlier. One poster suggested a check on the flop. Although in this particualr case it would have actaully been best, overall this is bad. Raising SC's in position is +EV two ways, either make the best hand or bluff better hands out. In most cases villain will either fold to our cbet and then check the river giving us some FE or a chance for a free card, or they will fold to the cbet. It just so happened that Villian likely hit this flop hard as did we and the stack sizes were akward that the choice between fold and push was very close. A call would be a good move if villain was deeper.
Old 10-17-2007, 07:15 PM

With your opponents less-then-full stack, and this flop, just get it in. It's close EV-wise, but you play 5d4d for flops like this, and he probably has a bare Ace more often then you think. Calling is terrible.