Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-25-2007, 02:33 PM

Default NL253: TPTK getting raised on the flop

How would you play in this situation? Please comment on preflop & postflop play. Villian was a german player, mini-raising pretty often in previous hands.

After he raises me on the flop I put him on a Q, a flush draw or a set. Overpairs are fairly unlikely since he would have reraised them because of the preflop action so far. He would mini-raise all categories of hands mentioned above.
I reraised him planning to fold to a push.

Poker Stars - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $0.10/$0.25 Blinds - 9 Players - (LegoPoker HH Converter)

SB: $26.60
BB: $34.80
UTG: $24.50
UTG+1: $7.60
MP1: $25.00
MP2: $24.70
Hero (MP3): $47.70
CO: $32.80
BTN: $15.65

Preflop: Hero is dealt Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (9 Players)
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls $0.25, MP1 calls $0.25, MP2 folds, <font color="red">Hero raises to $1.50</font>, CO calls $1.50, 5 folds

Flop: ($3.85) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">Hero bets $2.75</font>, <font color="red">CO raises to $5.50</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises to $11.00</font>, CO calls $5.50

After he called my reraise instead of shoving, I ruled out all sets and overpairs. I put him on either a flush draw or a Q. So I put him all-in and he called.

Turn: ($25.85) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">Hero bets $25.00</font>, CO calls all-in for $20.30
Uncalled bet of $4.70 returned to Hero
Old 06-25-2007, 02:36 PM

Default Re: NL253: TPTK getting raised on the flop

I think he has a set. I don't like the reraise on the flop. Just call and try to get a cheap showdown.
Old 06-25-2007, 02:42 PM

If I just call and a heart comes up. He can easily represent a flush and I might fold a better hand to his KQ or KJ or [censored] like that. When I check the turn and he makes a big bet I will find myself in a very tough spot. That is why I reraised him.
Old 06-25-2007, 02:55 PM

You would have to raise more on the flop to deny a flush or straight draw proper odds. You bet enough to deny immediate pot odds but he certainly could justify a call based on implied odds.

But I think you shouldn't raise because it bloats the pot too much when you have just an OK hand.

As played, on the turn I might bet a little less to entice a flush draw to play. Maybe 15 or so. It's true that you are committed to the pot either way, but this way a flush draw might incorrectly call against you without the proper odds. If the villian is a calling station then maybe all-in is fine because he might call with a flush draw anyway...
Old 06-25-2007, 03:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If I just call and a heart comes up. He can easily represent a flush and I might fold a better hand to his KQ or KJ or [censored] like that. When I check the turn and he makes a big bet I will find myself in a very tough spot. That is why I reraised him.

[/ QUOTE ]

If a heart comes you will now have a nut flush draw and now you might have a good pushing hand if you think he'd fold some hands you beat. At this level it's hard to give yourself alot of fold equity, but at least you'd have outs against all hands he could have.
Old 06-25-2007, 03:49 PM

You made a read and you went with it. Sounds like you have some history with this guy. I don't understand your minraise on the flop (flush draw will call, set might call and let you hang yourself on the turn).

I normally wouldn't look to get all-in with AQ in this spot, but against certain villains I suppose I would.