Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes

Old 11-21-2007, 08:40 PM

Default Re: A little coaching goes a long way.

W$WSF is super sexy.
Old 11-21-2007, 08:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
how much hours of coaching?

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-21-2007, 08:48 PM

I thought I felt you playing differently. I definitely made a couple bad laydowns last time we played. Stats look awesome sir.
Old 11-21-2007, 09:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Umm i cant remember to be honest. We did a video session, where he gave me commentary on my play, which I thought was a far greater value than any sweat coaching session that Ive ever had. We also did a handfull of hour AIM chat sessions. So who knows maybe 6 hours total, but the format we used made it seem like much more. Knowing that we would be talking for an hour gave me incentive to really ponder things before actually bringing them up. And i think actually played an important role in my improvment. He seems to really take pride in offering a service of value, so I left every session feeling like a better poker player.
Old 11-22-2007, 02:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Umm i cant remember to be honest. We did a video session, where he gave me commentary on my play, which I thought was a far greater value than any sweat coaching session that Ive ever had. We also did a handfull of hour AIM chat sessions. So who knows maybe 6 hours total, but the format we used made it seem like much more. Knowing that we would be talking for an hour gave me incentive to really ponder things before actually bringing them up. And i think actually played an important role in my improvment. He seems to really take pride in offering a service of value, so I left every session feeling like a better poker player.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm glad to hear you liked the video so much. I think it's way more effective (though also more time consuming) than a sweat session, and it's good to see my students agree.
Old 11-22-2007, 05:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm glad to hear you liked the video so much. I think it's way more effective (though also more time consuming) than a sweat session, and it's good to see my students agree.

[/ QUOTE ]

Does a video session go something like this:

<ul type="square"> [*] student records video - does he comment his play?[*] session where the video is discussed [/list]
or what is your approach?
Old 11-22-2007, 05:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
why do people hide their stats? its not like we can magically copy your style just from a few numbers.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didnt do it because i dont want to be copied. I did it because i think most of you regulars are smart enough to look at certain numbers and know how to exploit them. I just dont want to make it any easier for me to play against. Thats all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well based on your W$WSF% if hit any piece of the board whatsoever I'm never ever folding [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 11-22-2007, 07:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Does a video session go something like this:

<ul type="square"> [*] student records video - does he comment his play?[*] session where the video is discussed [/list]
or what is your approach?

[/ QUOTE ]

What I've been doing so far is this:

* Student records video of him playing, definitely with commentary (I consider the commentary more important than the play itself to be honest, I think looking for general analytical flaws is more important and effective than pointing out specific plays I don't agree with. Of course, they tie into one another nicely too).

* I send back a text file with notes on the video. If the student has questions about stuff I talk about in there, we usually discuss it in one of those chat sessions. Of course, a separate chat session to talk about the video could be set up too if there's a lot to discuss, that's really up to the student to tell me what works best.

There's been a little bit of discussion about it (how video reviews "should" work) in the recent MSNL coaching thread. Some coaches record their own audio over the video after watching it, though I'm unsure that approach is better (takes longer, I personally prefer to write it down rather than talk as I find it easier, etc etc).

Of course, the exact approach is up for discussion, but this is what I've been doing so far.
Old 11-22-2007, 07:58 AM

nice, how much?