Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-26-2006, 05:22 AM

Default You make the decision (similar to the Andy Fox post below)

Recently ran into a situation similar to what Andy Fox described in this nearby thread. I won't spill the ruling yet, rather you decide what should be done. Tomorrow I'll write down the way I would have handled it (but you can easily predict it if you read my post in Andy's thread).

Anyway here's the story:

Bet and call on the river. Board is K-9-7-2-7 rainbow. Player A tables (i.e., lays his cards face up on the felt) a 9-2 and announces "two pair". Player B takes his hand (the hand with fingers, not the poker hand [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]) and places it palm up on the table. In his completely open hand only one of the two cards is exposed, the king of whatever. Everyone at the table later agreed he had a king. Player A takes his cards (perhaps not noticing that the sevens paired giving him the best two pair) and turns them face down in the muck.

Now the whole table points out Player A had the best hand. Player B with the 9-2 complains that Player A's hand is in the muck and he should get the pot. The dealer calls the floor to straighten this one out.

You are the floor. How do you handle this one?

~ Rick
Old 06-26-2006, 05:58 AM

Default Re: You make the decision (similar to the Andy Fox post below)

This is a bit different than Andy's post. He conceded the pot w/o tabling his hand.

To me, this is like if a guy flashes his winning cards to 1/2 the table before he mucks. I've seen people do this a few times.

b
Old 06-26-2006, 07:49 AM

wait a minute at first you seem to say player A has 9/2 and then that player B has 9/2, i'm confused...

also i say that if this is the first time this has happened then the player with the king gets the pot and a warning.

The other player didn't miss call his hand either he had two pair 9's and 7's so no problems their.
Old 06-26-2006, 08:17 AM

Limits higher than 3/6 limit or 2/5 nl, I would rule

9-2 gets the pot, he has done nothing wrong. Two cards to win a pot.

Below my stated limts, I may deviate, as showing one card is a nooby mistake, one that I fell foul of myself when first playing B&M.
Old 06-26-2006, 09:02 AM

I think there is confusion in the telling of the story, but...

Sounds like player A tabled his hand. Two cards, face up at the showdown. They play. Turning them face down doesn't unplay them. If player A's two cards are better than the cards held by player B, player A wins.
Old 06-26-2006, 09:45 AM

Try again. The 92 is magically moving from one hand to another.
Old 06-26-2006, 10:25 AM

There are a few additional things I would want to know before making this ruling. What limit is this? I'm a lot more likely to award the pot to the player with the King if this a low limit game than if it is a high limit game. Also is that player an experienced player or a first time player? Is he a nit who would be screaming that the hand was dead if it wasn't his?
Old 06-26-2006, 11:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Try again. The 92 is magically moving from one hand to another.

[/ QUOTE ]

My bad for writing when I was already beyond exhaustion. Reverse the players in the last paragraph.

~ Rick
Old 06-26-2006, 11:58 AM

Why does the betting limit matter in this situation? The rules of poker don't change based on how much money is currently in the pot.

If the player with the king didn't show his other card before mucking, his hand is dead.
Old 06-26-2006, 12:06 PM

Default I\'m awake and alert - a few corrections and elaborations

I'll highlight in black the corrections and elaborations:

[ QUOTE ]
3/5 blind NL but the stacks are fairly deep as the game has been going a while. Fairly big bet and call on the river. Board is K-9-7-2-7 rainbow. Player A tables (i.e., lays his cards face up on the felt) a 9-2 and announces "two pair". Player B takes his hand (the hand with fingers, not the poker hand [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]) and places it palm up on the table for a few seconds, as if to elicit sympathy). In his completely open hand only one of the two cards is exposed, the king of whatever. Everyone at the table including his opponent later agreed he had a king. Player B takes his cards (perhaps not noticing that the sevens paired giving him the best two pair) and turns them face down in the muck.

Now the whole table points out Player B had the best hand. Player A with the 9-2 complains that Player B's hand is in the muck and he should get the pot. The dealer calls the floor to straighten this one out.

You are the floor. How do you handle this one?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry about mixing up my P's and Q's (or Player A and Player B) but it was late guys [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

~ Rick