Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2007, 07:12 PM

Default Re: Am I allowed to fold a set on a dry board at 50 nl? PLEAAASE

[ QUOTE ]

But if you start doing it here, you are probably folding waaaaayyyy too much in other spots.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course I don't make a habit of folding sets. In fact I don't believe I have ever folded a set on a dry board in my life. So why start now? well I didn't I called.

I find myself in similar situations about once a session.
I will be put into a situation where I know I am probably way behind but I have to call because I beat his alleged "range". However a players range is only as wide or as narrow as you make it. How do you make it? By observing the player and remembering how he plays hands so that you can use the information to make better decisions in the future.

So if my read tells me that a certain player would bet a top pair hand when checked to should I not listen to it? If he checks the flop when checked to I should eliminate top pair from his range. Should I not? So when the turn brings the bricky J and all of a sudden wakes up and raises the PFRer The only hand I can put him on is a set. So this is my read.

In poker we are constantly going by our reads. It is what makes us money. So why should I all of a sudden completely disregard my read and make a call. Because I have a set? I know the only reason I called is because I know that it is stupid to fold a set on a dry board. And in most cases I believe it is. However I do think that it HAS To be so cut and dry I think it should at least be open for discussion. I don't believe it always has to be " YOU HAVE A SET, YOU HAVE TO GO BROKE 100% OF THE TIME THERE."
Old 11-20-2007, 07:13 PM

you know what you start folding sets when you have a bad feeling and I will get as much money in with mine and we will see how has better results over the long run.
Old 11-20-2007, 07:16 PM

Yeah but these situations come up about once every 50k hands so folding this every time would not be a "huge" mistake.
Old 11-20-2007, 07:19 PM

This is a pretty easy fold for me, because its a polarised line - nuts or nothing - and I dont see what draw he can be bluffing at on the turn, unless KT or T9 or something got really insane. Even so, his line reeks of value, theres no way in hell a 24/20 would take this line with 2pr.

Having said that, you misplayed the turn, you should shove or fold. Because we can legitimately put the villain on a much wider turn range we can shove profitably which might sound weird given that I am advocating a river fold, but that's the difference between getting your money in good and getting your money in bad.
Old 11-20-2007, 07:22 PM

wtf is up with your bet sizing. flop bet sizing is bad.

raise turn. call river.
Old 11-20-2007, 07:24 PM

I will concede that the flop sizing was bad. I just really didn't think they had anything. That why I bet so small. The orignal pre flop raiser was about a 40/9/3 so If he had anything he would have bet the flop. And as I have said 100x here I believed the villain would bet any top pair hand when checked to.
Old 11-20-2007, 07:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is a pretty easy fold for me, because its a polarised line - nuts or nothing - and I dont see what draw he can be bluffing at on the turn, unless KT or T9 or something got really insane. Even so, his line reeks of value, theres no way in hell a 24/20 would take this line with 2pr.

[/ QUOTE ]
At least ONE person agrees that a fold is possible and not a HUGE mistake.
Old 11-20-2007, 07:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Put it this way, you should always be planning to get your stack in with a set for 100bb, no exceptions ever. Set over set is always a cooler that you're not going to get away from. The only reason why this river is a fold is because you misplayed the flop and the turn, so although you could have saved yourself some money on the river here that does NOT mean that this line is anywhere near good, nor does it mean that you should ever be considering folding a set for 100bb.
Old 11-20-2007, 07:44 PM

I think what ama is saying is that you should have lost your money on the turn not the river...
Old 11-20-2007, 07:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Put it this way, you should always be planning to get your stack in with a set for 100bb, no exceptions ever. Set over set is always a cooler that you're not going to get away from. The only reason why this river is a fold is because you misplayed the flop and the turn, so although you could have saved yourself some money on the river here that does NOT mean that this line is anywhere near good, nor does it mean that you should ever be considering folding a set for 100bb.

[/ QUOTE ]
Dually noted