Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2007, 07:06 PM

Default AJs....put him all-in on flop or is bet size ok here?

No reads on villain.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t100 (9 handed) Poker Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

BB (t1040)
UTG (t2890)
UTG+1 (t1160)
MP1 (t4340)
MP2 (t1165)
MP3 (t2405)
CO (t7280)
Hero (t8995)
SB (t3590)

Preflop: Hero is Button with J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP2 calls t100, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t385</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP2 calls t285.

Flop: (t920) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t450</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises to t780</font>, Hero calls t330.

Turn: (t2480) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

River: (t2480) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: t2480
Old 11-06-2007, 08:44 PM

Default Re: AJs....put him all-in on flop or is bet size ok here?

Cont. bet sizing is okay (maybe a bit on the small side), but he has a harder decision to make with a mid PP if you put him all in on the flop. It also makes your decisions easier, since you're basically pot committed, but won't love calling, if he comes over the top. As played, you made a continuation bet and he CRAI, forcing you to call w/ 2 overcards. If I had to guess, I'd say he has 66-99 and is willing to go all the way with only one overcard on the board, but his ranged obviously changes drastically depending on the buyin.
Old 11-06-2007, 09:50 PM

You can just go a full 4X pre.

On the flop, is he more likely to check shove if you leave yourself room to fold? If so bet like 300 and let him do something stupid.

If however he's more likely to fold a limp/called AQ if you just jam flop, do that.
Old 11-07-2007, 02:31 AM

I just jam the flop when it's checked to me.
Old 11-07-2007, 04:20 AM

Why did you raise PF? I would have called and tried to see a cheap flop with that hand.
Villian is calling almost 10% of his stack, so his either stupid or slow-playing a monster - based on his action on the flop I guess it was a monster.

As played you have the odds to call if he puts you all in, so you might as well do it yourself. That way you may get him to fold if he didn't hit the flop, didn't have a monster and incorrectly will fold any mid-PP
Old 11-07-2007, 04:31 AM

I'd just call pre and let BB squeeze. If SB completes and BB checks, i don't mind playing this hand 4-way in position with your stack. I don't think that your flop bet size matters, but as played i'd make it 750 to maybe fold the PP's he incorrectly played for set value.
Old 11-07-2007, 11:25 AM

Iīd bet 800, because it might look a little bit stronger than a shove.

I donīt like the suggested T300 to induce something stupid by him, since "greatly played" lower PPs are a good part of his range (in an assumed lower buy-in).
Old 11-07-2007, 12:00 PM

I'm in a constant state of confusion as to how to play these hands, though I lean to a raise to 400 almost every time. I hate these spots so much it kills me. But, these limps are usually unbelievable crap like Q10, KJ, A7 - A10, KQ (not crap, but still), J10s. I'm always concerned when a 10 hits on the flop here because donks love to limp with those Broadway-10 combos. So, therefore:

I would raise to 450 - 500. You have more preflop FE this way, and it forces opponent to make a decision. Your AcJc is not that great and I really would like it if he does the whole "oh [censored] I have J10, let me get it in pre or fold" instead. 385 just gets it in his head that he can call, and HE'S NEVER EVER EVER EVER NEVER laying down AQ or any connection to the flop here.

I just don't want to have to get into this "well, he could have hit this or that and this but I have to PSB anyway" sort of thing. Against this stack, I want to make my flop decision as EASY as possible.

On the flop, yeah, just PSB it. You're getting it in anyway. Your bets here wreak of weakness because you were in fact nervous. I do this all the time, though I'm learning to stop. Maybe it's the week long of 70/30 coolers that I've had. I guess when you limp in the SB with KK because you know BB is a retarted lag, and he puts his 15BB in on a push with 108o and wins, you just learn to really punish these limping [censored] with some strength.

In fact, while we are at it, I'd like a "theory" post from Bond on "Coolers" and how to use them to weather yourself and become a strong player.

Barry