Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2007, 05:28 PM

Default Re: playing against ratholers

triumph,

surely the best advice you can give vs a short stack it to break them down into different groups look at ranges, work out how to play vs different likely sits. i think these boards have a tonne of problems with shortstackers which i agree with but i think as someone who plays full, you dont want to teach someone to exploit a shortstaking game as your teaching them in effort to play much better(vs you). if someone asks, be willing to help but dont go around giving away a cheat guide.
Old 07-26-2007, 05:28 PM

good post. another thing is when they open into your bb, esp from the sb btn play with pokerstove numbers and see what you can shove into their range. When it's just the two of you in the hand you're both playing a shotrstack and you can shove over their open raise pretty wide, profitably.

I also recommend slowplaying big pairs preflop vs them since they almost always cbet and felt top pair/second pair type hands. especially when they open from non steal positions.
Old 07-26-2007, 05:29 PM

for the record, I was joking. Wouldn't want to become an untouchable.
Old 07-26-2007, 05:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Hmmm, this thread has inspired me to become a ratholer, looks profitable

[/ QUOTE ]

YEAH GUYS WE NEED ANOTHER IMSAKIDD

MODS

LOCK

OR

DELETE

PLZ

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont get this, explain?

[/ QUOTE ]

I started shortstacking after a thread JUST LIKE THIS in HSNL.

We can all agree we dont want more ssers in the game.
Old 07-26-2007, 05:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Hmmm, this thread has inspired me to become a ratholer, looks profitable

[/ QUOTE ]

YEAH GUYS WE NEED ANOTHER IMSAKIDD

MODS

LOCK

OR

DELETE

PLZ

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont get this, explain?

[/ QUOTE ]

I started shortstacking after a thread JUST LIKE THIS in HSNL.

We can all agree we dont want more ssers in the game.

[/ QUOTE ]

the thread was nothing like this

it was 'waah waah why won't stars/party make their big games full buy-in'

and yea a bunch of tards were like 'oooh this is profitable' - it is no longer near as profitable, and hopefully people realize how to better play against them
Old 07-26-2007, 05:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ehh guys, when u open the button, u should be opening hands that u can call the shove from the short stacker with...

[/ QUOTE ]
This is wrong. Extreme example: ss only shoves KK and AA so you only open KK/AA?

It takes me all of about 3 seconds from when a ss sits to figure out the adjustments I need to make.

Biggest key to beating ss that hasn't been mentioned: PAY ATTENTION(know their ranges from each position). For example some ss like IMSAKid are really tight in some positions and loose in other(figure it out on your own). Also some won't ever play post so minraise their blinds 100% and see how they adjust and react accordingly.

Another thing: I think a lot of people adjust too much. Some people don't adjust their opening ranges and sizes at all and others become super tight just because 1 of the 4 remaining players has 40bb. You have to find that middle ground.
Old 07-26-2007, 05:37 PM

First and foremost is simply to identify those that play often enough and have a decent bankroll that can't simply be defeated via variance. If you use PT/PAHud for nothing else simply identify those short stacks that play enough hands at your level to know that this isn't some new player, it's someone who likely knows how to do it.

2nd is to spend a little time studying their stats, ss's are so easy to analyze as compared to trying to analyze a deeper stacked player it's not even funny. Simply knowing how they'll play A's other than AK is pretty important info.

3rd is what Luego suggested, spend a little time with poker stove and figure out the #'s of various hands vs the ss's likely range when they come over the top, knowing those #'s is important to making correct decisions on whether to call a push.
Old 07-26-2007, 05:50 PM

just so everyone gets it, imsa doesnt like threads like this because he doesnt want people to steal his blinds with small raise sizes and he doesnt want u to call his shoves light. its true for everyone who dislikes this thread.

this thread ONLY serves to educate fullstackers on how to counteract the shortstack strategy, something we will ALL benefit from. i am serious, listen to what i am telling you and you will suffer WAY less from shorties than u have in the past.

i am 100% confident that i am a life time winner vs stinkypete, borka, imsa, fatalerror and whoever else i have been playing. just be smart. do NOT call them with [censored] when the odds do not justify it.
Old 07-26-2007, 05:50 PM

sorry i meant that he DOES want u to call his shoves light.
Old 07-26-2007, 06:05 PM

I hate shortstackers, but seriously if idiots are calling their shoves w/ 98s and so on I doubt theres anything we can really do about it, its the most abc basic poker theory 'adjusting' to shortstacks, if people haven't figured out how to beat them yet then they will probably thrive for some more time to come.