Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2007, 05:55 PM

Default Re: Should I have folded AA here?

Probably a good fold
Old 11-18-2007, 11:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I disagree with the other posters. His most likely hand is a pocket pair below the kings - probably a mid pair like 77. If he had the King or a FH, why would he go all in after you showed weakness? Why not make a value bet that you could call? He is trying to scare you off the pot. Easy call.

[/ QUOTE ]

You realise he's going allin for nearly 4 times the pot right? People don't move in for 4 times the pot on bluffs when they might be winning the pot anyway.

The key to this hand is to look at the difference between hands that fold to a pot size bet and hands that fold to the massive overbet. The only hands that will call a pot size bet and fold to a larger bet are AA, AQ and maybe QJ. With such a small number of hands folding to the larger bet, it doesn't make sense for him to risk so much to run his bluff. It does however make sense for him to make the huge bet with a crushing hand; you only need to have a hand that can call the massive bet (say JT or 99) a few times to make up for the value you lose by folding out AA and AQ. Plus he probably doesn't put you on AA or AQ since at this level a lot of people will wrongly bet the turn with those hands.
Old 11-19-2007, 12:16 AM

You could all be correct about this villian thinking the hand through and playing reasonably. I think the first thing to be considered (and nobody's mentioned) is how small this game is. This villian could have ATC here. How much credit can you give a player in this kind of game?

I still like the fold and the balance of the advice. I'd have liked a bigger bet post flop than 40 cents. That to me sounds like it's in the spirit of a slow play or a weak fearful value bet. I'd suggest betting the pot here. A call from this level player could still mean anything but I'd sure feel much better about laying the hand down later as it played out if our villian had called a reasonable bet. The .40 was wasted as it doesn't tell you anything, a good player would call this with probably any pair thinking you might have raised with AJ/AQ preflop and was putting out a cont bet. But, how many penny players understand what a C bet is? I'm I being foolish for even mentioning it?

Checking the flop would have been interesting too. This level player can not resist checking a flopped set like this. Can you give the player a set because he checked? NO, it's the weaker play to check here. I like betting much better. But, be careful how much you try to read into a penny player. I say you are wrong less on average if you assume here the player is not thinking much at all, just playing "his" hand as he sees it.

Dave
Old 11-19-2007, 12:17 AM

Players at .5/.10 tend to be so horrible I have no idea if it was a good fold or not. For some reason I'm leaning towards calling here thought just becuase if he wanted to get called for value I don't think he would of pushed UNLESS he thought you might percieve it as a bluff and call. Hard situation without knowing the villains tendencies.
Old 11-19-2007, 02:19 AM

if you're up against the sort of player who will jam in 4 times the pot on a bluff, you ought to have some kind of read on him. readless there's just no way this is a bluff.
Old 11-19-2007, 02:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hard situation without knowing the villains tendencies.

[/ QUOTE ]

Which is why our default should be to fold until we know more about him.

I also agree with raze that this situation comes up so infrequently that a call isn't too bad either, especially if we're planning on putting in a decent length session and will likely be able to use the info we get here later.
Old 11-19-2007, 03:34 AM

www.itsatrap.net ! easy fold. don't go broke with 1 pair in small pots. tell your friend he's dumb for making a smarter person like you doubt the decision to fold that hand. you're risking like $5 to win $6 and you're not sure if you're good or not? when in doubt fold, even easier when it's a tiny tiny pot.

edit: oh yeah at .05/.10 I've seen some silly stupid [censored]. So I wouldn't put any pocket pair out of his range either but this pot isn't big enough to account that anyway.