Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events

Old 09-29-2007, 10:47 PM

Default Re: Ryan benches Solo for consolation game at WWC

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This is 100% the fault of the coach. Put yourself in Solo's shoes. There is no friggin way, at 26 years old, that I would be able to hold my tongue after getting benched in that situation.

[/ QUOTE ]

When I read reports of him benching her I thought it was the dumbest thing ever. She'd played rather well the whole WC and leading up to it.

I hope Norway scores [censored] against Scurvy just to make Ryan look even more like a tard.

[/ QUOTE ]

it's the coaches fault, but that doesn't excuse her post game actions. i don't think many people are defending ryan's decision.
Old 09-29-2007, 11:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is 100% the fault of the coach. Put yourself in Solo's shoes. There is no friggin way, at 26 years old, that I would be able to hold my tongue after getting benched in that situation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I don't really see what she said as being incorrect or bad in any way, and it seems vindictive to not only bench her, but to keep her from even showing up for the game. (I also like how the news reports about this have said that the other 20 players agree with the coach on this. Of course they do - they've already seen what happens if they express disagreement.) I guess I don't understand the importance of Lockerroom Chemistry.
Old 09-29-2007, 11:35 PM

I loved every minute of what Solo said. You don't see players say what they actually think very often. Of course her teammates had a much different viewpoint.

I never took it as her calling out Scurry. It was more her calling out Ryan for an unusual decision at a critical time.

FWIW Solo would have stopped the second goal (first was an own goal). I think she believes she would have gotten the fourth one as well.

And the red card was beyond ridiculous...one of the worst I've ever seen. But it happened with the US down 2-0. The US was in trouble before the sending off.
Old 09-29-2007, 11:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I loved every minute of what Solo said. You don't see players say what they actually think very often. Of course her teammates had a much different viewpoint.

I never took it as her calling out Scurry. It was more her calling out Ryan for an unusual decision at a critical time.

FWIW Solo would have stopped the second goal (first was an own goal). I think she believes she would have gotten the fourth one as well.

And the red card was beyond ridiculous...one of the worst I've ever seen. But it happened with the US down 2-0. The US was in trouble before the sending off.

[/ QUOTE ]

whether it was calculated or just an emotional outburst, the moment she said "i would have made those saves" she called out scurry. she had every right to be angry, but she has made herself look like a terrible teammate and a poor sport. she put herself above the team by making those remarks in public. these sorts of things are normally taken care of behind closed doors (for good reason) and whether ryan remains the coach or not, solo may have cost herself a spot on the national team as a starter.
Old 09-30-2007, 12:07 AM

SCURRY WAS 11-0 VS BRAZIL!!!! 11-0!!! SHE OWNZ BRAZIL!!! OWNZ THEM!!! HOW CAN YOU NOT SEE THAT?!??!? brazil just ot lucky, obv.

Seriously though, the gambling angle might be considered. I mean, the coach could just be a retard, but I bet US women's soccer gets a lot of betting action on the fav. So you have a situation in which it is already favorable to bet on their opponent and then the coach makes in inconceivable substitution in the only position where he could make such a dramatic mistake, AND he has a ready-made excuse for playing the keeper who hand't seen any playing time in two months - she was 11-0 lifetime vs. Brazil. It looks really fishy.

Hope IS a brat, but it seemed like she was TRYING to bash the coach, but Scurry was indirectly drawn into it. "I could have made the saves when Scurry didn't." "Scurry is too old, and is not currently the best keeper on the team." The problem, of course, is that she said these things off the cuff. I'm sure should could have thought of a more diplomatic way of saying what she did. "Of course I think I am the best keeper on this team. I don't know if I could have made a difference, but I feel I had earned the chance. I think the coach made a mistake."

Remember, she didn't "throw her teammate under the bus," as no one could be blaming Hope for the loss.

As for disciplining her, if I'm the coach I'm probably saying something publically like this, "There is no doubt in my mind how much respect Hope Solo has for Scurry. I've watched Solo learning from Scurry over the years, the two are good teammates. Obviously Solo believes the student has surpassed the teacher. However, it is unprofessional for Solo to be voicing her issues with the team and her coach in public. She will not be starting the 3rd-place game." I'd then have her start the 2nd half.
Old 09-30-2007, 12:13 AM

You work that hard for that job and do all the things right that you need to do to get your team to a WC Semi only to get slapped in the face, all you can do is punch back.
Old 09-30-2007, 12:25 AM

in ryan's defense, it was absolutely necessary for him to bench solo for the 3rd place game, the whole situation would have gotten even uglier if he told solo she was starting and she told him to f--- off and play keeper himself
Old 09-30-2007, 12:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You work that hard for that job and do all the things right that you need to do to get your team to a WC Semi only to get slapped in the face, all you can do is punch back.

[/ QUOTE ]

no way. that's a reasonable course of action for a child, not an adult. her pre-game comments were enough to define her position on the matter; her post games comments were just immature.
Old 09-30-2007, 12:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I don't really see what she said as being incorrect or bad in any way, and it seems vindictive to not only bench her, but to keep her from even showing up for the game. (I also like how the news reports about this have said that the other 20 players agree with the coach on this. Of course they do - they've already seen what happens if they express disagreement.) I guess I don't understand the importance of Lockerroom Chemistry.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's the 3rd place game, serious business.
Old 09-30-2007, 12:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

no way. that's a reasonable course of action for a child, not an adult.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actions of a child? The decision from the coach was childish. Her reaction might have been childish, but it never should have needed to happen. I'd always be willing to give more benefit of doubt to a miscalculated reaction as opposed to a miscalculated action. Christ, what is she supposed to feel/think/say??? Even Scurry probably thought it was royally messed up that she was starting. Her head may not have even been in the game. If I was in her position I probably couldn't help but think "WTF, why is he starting me? This is stupid, I haven't played in months. Man I better no Eff up or else everyone's going to blame me. This is really ....weird....oh sh*t they just scored."

Soccer is already a stupid sport and it isn't helping the cause when this is the only way it can make the news. Retarded coaches.