Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2007, 01:18 PM

Default Re: The Future of Online Poker for \"Danger States\"

I couldn't agree more with the idea of using a good offense as a good defense. Also, I felt a little bit like a person telling a three-year old that there is really no Santa Clause. Not that you are like a three-year old, but that you have done so much admirable work for us, I did not want to rain on your energetic optimism.

I should also mention that there are other things to be optimistic about, like the possibility that poker will be ruled a game of skill, IMEGA, and, the WTO initiative. Of course, there is the same kind of issue with the WTO situation in that it necessarily must include sports betting, something that the US will fight hard. But I won't pursue that as I have tugged on Santa's beard enough for today.
Old 11-09-2007, 02:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I couldn't agree more with the idea of using a good offense as a good defense. Also, I felt a little bit like a person telling a three-year old that there is really no Santa Claus. Not that you are like a three-year old, but that you have done so much admirable work for us, I did not want to rain on your energetic optimism.

I should also mention that there are other things to be optimistic about, like the possibility that poker will be ruled a game of skill, IMEGA, and, the WTO initiative. Of course, there is the same kind of issue with the WTO situation in that it necessarily must include sports betting, something that the US will fight hard. But I won't pursue that as I have tugged on Santa's beard enough for today.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks. Trust me, I'm anything but naive. My rationale for lobbying hard in D.C. for even imperfect bills is that we need to generate the political strength necessary to get (or keep) a victory via the WTO, IMEGA, etc. We also keep harsher laws from getting proposed, as we keep our opponents on defense.
Old 11-09-2007, 03:29 PM

TE, a victory by the WTO pressure could not be reversed unless the US withdraws from the WTO treaty obligations. A victory, in the court of last resort, by iMEGA winning its case could only be reversed by a constitution amendment.
But passage of even Rep. Wexler's bills could be reversed by another law, but I doubt that will happen.
We need the political strength in case the WTO wimps out and the present court case fail to help.
Next year, the PPA needs to get it political act in full gear and prepare to file its own litigation, if the UIGEA is not reversed and the present regs are adopted. The good news is that the PPA has plenty of time to prepare for both a political and legal battle. Even the regs will likely take close to another year to be finalized and adopted. Thus, the present difficulties of the PPA do not concern me, but their activity next year will be important; unless the WTO or litigation solves the online poker problems in US.
Old 11-09-2007, 04:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
TE, a victory by the WTO pressure could not be reversed unless the US withdraws from the WTO treaty obligations. A victory, in the court of last resort, by iMEGA winning its case could only be reversed by a constitution amendment.
But passage of even Rep. Wexler's bills could be reversed by another law, but I doubt that will happen.
We need the political strength in case the WTO wimps out and the present court case fail to help.
Next year, the PPA needs to get it political act in full gear and prepare to file its own litigation, if the UIGEA is not reversed and the present regs are adopted. The good news is that the PPA has plenty of time to prepare for both a political and legal battle. Even the regs will likely take close to another year to be finalized and adopted. Thus, the present difficulties of the PPA do not concern me, but their activity next year will be important; unless the WTO or litigation solves the online poker problems in US.

[/ QUOTE ]

A strategy based on hope of the full benifits of the work of others so we can claim victory....

Sounds familiar,

D$D
Old 11-09-2007, 05:04 PM

As with everything else, money talks. If we can get to the point where it is up to the individual states, you will see them all gradually legalize it. Once the lawmakers in one state see another state generating ridiculous revenues from it they will fall all over themselves to make it legal.