Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2007, 04:59 PM

Default Wisconsin Poker Law?

Hey fellas.

I was thinking of Moving to Wisconsin someday.
Does anyone know the laws there for playing poker online?

any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-07-2007, 08:58 PM

Default Re: Wisconsin Poker Law?

[ QUOTE ]
Hey fellas.

I was thinking of Moving to Wisconsin someday.
Does anyone know the laws there for playing poker online?

any help would be greatly appreciated.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here is a site that seems to have every State's poker laws statute by statute.

WI poker laws

Every State summary chart.

50 State summary Chart.

Anyone know of this guy?

D$D
Old 10-08-2007, 11:47 AM

The site linked by D$D is a great resource, I have used it myself many times. The site host, Chuck Humphrey, is well respected, if on the "conservative" side, attorney who specializes in gambling law. The same CH who brought that case against fantasy sports in NJ which led to the "contests are not gambling" decision we all had so much fun discussing a few weeks ago.

Skallagrim
Old 10-08-2007, 01:10 PM

Not only did we have fun, but the case could be our 'out' so to speak for at least Poker Tournaments.

obg
Old 10-16-2007, 01:48 PM

Why would you want to move to this tax hell we call Wisconsin? =/

Unless you're an illegal immigrant... then I could understand the desire. A free ride on the taxpayers backs can be a pretty strong draw.

But seriously... don't move to Wisconsin unless you have already amassed your fortune and don't plan on having any income.

We're talking about the state with legislators who think it's a fantastic idea to add a 15% payroll tax to dismantle the current healthcare system in lieu of having it run by the government instead. This is on top of our already insane tax burden. 15%, people!

Until we can find a way to recall or assassinate(not to condone that!) our governor, Diamond Jim Doyle and the democrats in our state legislature... stay away!

Today, our state budget is like 3+ months overdue because the dems want to increase spending by $2 billion dollars and the republicans are trying to hold the line on taxes. Just yesterday, our asshat governor demanded that there be an emergency session to vote on his "compromise" budget. Their idea of a compromise is $1.5B instead of $2B in new spending. It was rejected, thank God.

Sorry for the rant. I actually came here looking for the same information you were, but when I saw that you weren't already suffering as a Wisconsinite, I thought I'd try to save you from your own demise.

The sad part is that the only reason the democrats keep getting elected into statewide office is because the ones already there refuse to pass voter fraud legislation.

EVERY single election, conservative groups scour the registration logs and pull out a few thousand dead people that managed to reanimate long enough to make the trip to a few (yes, a few) polling locations. Every election, there are stories about BUSSES of people going from polling station to polling station... double, triple, quadruple voting. The hobos are given cigarettes to vote democrat.

This state is a mess... stay away.

Sorry again for the off topic rant, but someone has to warn the unsuspecting!
Old 10-16-2007, 02:52 PM

It could be worse.

You could live in Illinois like me.
Old 10-16-2007, 03:55 PM

Could be way worse and you could live in Minnesota like me.
Old 10-16-2007, 08:00 PM

Wisconsin....any more left we would be Minnesota.
Old 10-16-2007, 08:16 PM

ok so it says that aggravated gambling is a felony in wisconsin and it defines aggravated as professional gambling.

does that mean that if you were an online poker pro in wisconsin you could be charged with a felony??
Old 10-16-2007, 09:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ok so it says that aggravated gambling is a felony in wisconsin and it defines aggravated as professional gambling.

does that mean that if you were an online poker pro in wisconsin you could be charged with a felony??

[/ QUOTE ]

No, you misunderstood. You need to read the following again:
[ QUOTE ]
The distinction between "simple" and "aggravated" gambling is also one that varies from state to state. That terminology may not be used in a state's criminal law at all. It may be phrased as mere "gambling" versus "professional gambling." It may come into play only based on second or third violations of a given criminal prohibition. The approach used in compiling the chart is generally based on the presence of professional gambling, which involves those who make money on the contest or game other than as and on an equal footing with a mere player.

[/ QUOTE ]