Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Heads Up Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2007, 01:39 PM

Default nl cash -- adjusting to limp callers when you\'re oop

a fair amount of bad players seem to follow the general heuristics when they limp:

if some guy raises me preflop when i'm in position, i'm going to call almost every time and try to hit a pair. if i hit any pair, definitely call the flop. after i call the flop, try to hit another pair or hope he doesn't bet.

when you see a hand like the one below what kind of adjustments are the best to make at 200bb, 100bb or 50bb?

100bb stacks

2/4 nl
100bb stacks
sb limps. you raise to 20. he calls.

flop (40)
T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
you lead for 30. he calls

turn (100)
5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
you lead for 80. he calls

river (260)
8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
you push. he calls with Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 08-09-2007, 01:45 PM

Default Re: nl cash -- adjusting to limp callers when you\'re oop

I struggle with this as well.
Old 08-09-2007, 02:27 PM

Obviously the best defense is to tighten up your raising range OOP. It's really tough to adjust to passive players that do this since you generally do not get opportunities to CR.

I'm assuming you have a decent hand here, because trying to bluff these guys is going to be -EV OOP almost always. I really dread limp/callers when deep stacked. There's nothing wrong with taking a more passive line when OOP with an overpair or TPTK.
Old 08-09-2007, 02:43 PM

Bluffing at these guys OOP like this (when you dont have a hand) is suicide. Believe me, I know [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] With people who are really passive, and limps all their hands except the PREMIUM, (you can tell because their raise % is like 8-13) I tend to check rag aces etc, and just punish them IP, constantly putting the pressure on from SB. Alot of these guys like their draws, so betting pot is a good way to extract money from these guys (when you have a hand [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img])

All in all i find these players to not be as profitable as aggro ones. Allthough since they are playing so passively they are probably pretty weak, and will eventually make a big mistake.
Old 08-09-2007, 02:46 PM

I feel like not playing aggressive against limp callers is correct, you get one huge advantage in that the majority of the pots they play in position will be tiny and the ones you play in position will be bigger, only raise preflop OOP for value and only double and triple barrel in especially good spots.
Old 08-09-2007, 02:55 PM

So you have these donks who are making a theoretical mistake playing small pots in position by limping and then whahahahaha shows up and corrects their mistake by raising junk OOP. nh.
Old 08-09-2007, 02:58 PM

My "adjustments" mostly consist in trying not to get sucked out on as much.

Also, rebuying.

Also, immediately refilling to 100 BBs if my first adjustment fails.

You can't stop pummelling his crap range with raises. If he's limp/calling with Q3 and then playing superpassive you give up a lot of value not popping it up with pocket pair and ace-high hands, and good broadway hands.

You will win some hands popping it up with ace high or even king high and then having it checked down.
Old 08-09-2007, 02:59 PM

I wonder what goes through these players heads. How can you limp with good hands on the button, while calling every raise OOP... so illogical.
Old 08-09-2007, 03:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So you have these donks who are making a theoretical mistake playing small pots in position by limping and then whahahahaha shows up and corrects their mistake by raising junk OOP. nh.

[/ QUOTE ]

Disagree.

Opponent has made another mistake, which is that he's telegraphed the weakness of his hand. Hero can/should raise quality hands for equity and to build a bigger pot because they will hit flops hard.

Don't raise junk, but a range of like top 25% is probably worth popping. Sometimes you will win preflop because he will muck that 94o, sometimes it will get checked down and you will win with underpair or high cards, and since opponent's passive he's not going to exploit position properly.
Old 08-09-2007, 03:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I wonder what goes through these players heads. How can you limp with good hands on the button, while calling every raise OOP... so illogical.

[/ QUOTE ]

SOOOOOOOOOOOTTTEEED