Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2007, 10:53 PM

Default Re: Moving Up In Stakes

"To the arrogant jerks, downswings don't exist. Is that a good thing to tell a new player?"

You are just being ignorant now.
Nobody even suggested this.
Of course downswings exist, everyone has them.
There is a huuuuge difference between breakeven over 700 tournies and 7000 tournies, though.

"SnGs are free money. Any idiot can beat them."

I agree with this assessment.
Old 11-15-2007, 11:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"How exactly do you come to that conclusion without ever looking at a single hand of mine?"

Us winning players are usually equipped with something we like to call a "brain". With this device, we can conclude that it's near impossible for someone with such huge "downsings" to be a good player.
It's basic understanding of probability and statistics.

[/ QUOTE ]

You found the quote mark on your computer. How nice for you. Try putting it around a few more words and see if that increases your self esteem.
Old 11-15-2007, 11:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think there might some correlation between constantly having a halved stack by level 6, and only beating hte 6.50s for 3.5% (lol).

In Pokertracker, are you profitable at all blind levels.

Let's start with the 6.50s, as there is no point in discussing higher buy-ins when you hardly beat these micro stakes.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's no point in discussing anything with you. You've already made your diagnosis. Now all you want is more opportunities to take cheap shots.

Knock yourself out.
Old 11-15-2007, 11:09 PM

I am not trying to say you are a bad player. I'm trying to say that the chances of you thinking you are running really bad when you are just playing really bad are much greater than the chances of you actually running that bad.

It is obviously possible for some very small percentage of people to run terribly over massive samples, but the percentage of people who try to place themselves in that group is waaaaay larger.

If you want advice I say to just study. It will help you regardless, and if you really are just playing bad then you will be able to turn your game around.
Old 11-15-2007, 11:16 PM

Guthrie, I can't argue with that.

Your post is such an exageration. Gross exageration tend to stem from a rationale not worth arguing. So I'm not going to say much.

I'm just going to say that, right or wrong, I will come to the conclusion that someone that doesn't win much or even loses over a very significant sample can't be that good at poker.

At the end of the day I measure ones poker skill through money lost and won. If that makes me arrogant or a jerk, so be it.

For the new players reading this (just in case I gave the impression that good players don't have downswing), good players have downswings. It's rare they will last for years though.
Old 11-15-2007, 11:17 PM

Guthrie,
IIRC there was a thread where you advocated folding ATs to a SB shove for like 8bbs or something.
Old 11-15-2007, 11:20 PM

If you've had so many reliable people review HH's and tell you that you have no leaks, why not post 1 or 2 SNG's full HH's on here and be open to hearing what people on here say. Plenty of people will review one or two games for you. While that's obviously very small sample size, it'll give all of us a much better idea how you're playing.
Old 11-16-2007, 12:12 AM

Guthrie:
[ QUOTE ]
You can talk all you want about ICM and putting people on ranges, but eventually you have to push, and when I push, I get called, and when I get called, I lose. I am continually amazed at how people can consistently win all-ins regardless of the cards going in, but that appears to be what's required to be a winning player.

[/ QUOTE ]

Other person:
[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, some bad play right there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Guthrie responds:
[ QUOTE ]
How can you possibly know that?

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
and I'm at 3.56% over 3058 6.50s.

[/ QUOTE ]

Old 11-16-2007, 12:13 AM

Guthrie if you like u could play 4 or so games, send me (and ur other doubters) the hand histories and I'll have a look at them for you. In return you have to stop whining like a little girl.

To OP your bankroll should be largely based on your roi. If ur roi is > 13% or so then 30-40 BIs should be fine. If roi < 5% then you'll probably need something closer to 200 BIs. I dont think I've ever dropped much more that 20 BIs.
Old 11-16-2007, 12:31 AM

I forgot the original purpose of this thread lol. To OP, even if we assume Guthrie is at the very ends of the spectrum of luck and runs worse than anyone alive, the chances of having another player on the forum who does the same is quite small. So feel free to play with 50-100 buyins depending on what you are comfortable with and what stakes you are playing.