Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 01:48 PM

Default Re: AP thread 872.6 - Statement ITT

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
All,

Now that Absolute has enlisted some possibly competent people for PR damage control, it looks like this is about to become a non-story with no long-term impact on Absolute. In fact, if a good chunk of solid multi-tabling 2+2ers boycott the site, it'll perhaps get a reputation as one of the most fun places to play online poker.

OK, time to move some $$$ to Absolute.

[/ QUOTE ]

El D,

I'm really suprised at your view of this situation. Your posts hint at sarcasm but could also be logical points of view. Your passive approach to the situation is exactly what is going to lead to the outcome you predict.

I think maybe you're just leveling and hoping to light a fire under some people so that this thing can gain steam again.

I remember in one of your book threads you liked "Conspiracy of Fools" about the Enron scandal. With your knowledge of business and poker and corporate management, I would think that this is actually a subject you'd be quite interested in uncovering.

[/ QUOTE ]

The masked man is a realist. He's just telling it like it is. This doesn't imply that he thinks it's OK for Absolute to do whatever they want or that people shouldn't be outraged and/or shouldn't try to get restitution. He's just giving the big picture of how this will play out. His predictions are huge favorites to be right.
Old 10-22-2007, 01:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I just want to highlight that there is no evidence - beyond an anonymous poster on an internet message board - that there was any wrong doing by AP in the car raffle and/or the charity popcorn.

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean other than the fact that these accusations are completely consistent with their character and completely consistent with the lying, scumbag nature of the people running this site?

Other than that, nothing at all... I mean these people would never steal anything small right? They would only skim the BBJ if they could make millions. They would never steal 10k worth of popcorn money or rig a 40k car drawing because they only steal big stuff right?

Are you kidding me?
Old 10-22-2007, 01:55 PM

mb,

"I'm really suprised at your view of this situation."

It's just reality. Where is CardPlayer in this? Where is Two Plus Two Publishing? The silence is deafening. It's a big money industry and it doesn't look like anyone with a voice and reach that matters is going to step up. When it's all said and done, it all comes down to money. And there's no money for those players in going after Absolute.

"Your passive approach to the situation is exactly what is going to lead to the outcome you predict. I would think that this is actually a subject you'd be quite interested in uncovering."

I'm not in the poker industry. I'm not an investigative journalist. I have an inherent dislike of cheaters and thieves, but I'm not going to spend any energy in actually fighting this fight, nor do I have any responsibility to do so. There are many people who make their living off of the poker community. I think those people have a responsibility (to a degree at least) to poker players to get rid of players like Absolute in the industry, or at least bring awareness to situations like this. But knowing how the money flows, I doubt that'll happen.
Old 10-22-2007, 01:56 PM

i read earlier that quebec authoraties are looking at this situation, and view the server farm as illeagal. if they decide to raid it, most of the online poker worlds severs are situated there... looking grim for online poker right now [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 10-22-2007, 01:58 PM

And everyone who is whining about the AP cheating scandal and crying for someone to punish AP, get off your butt. No one else will punish Absolute. But you already have a blueprint for how to do it yourself, given to you by the patent troll who sued Bodog.

The players who were hurt by this cheating simply need to file suit against Absolute Poker in a U.S. court for fraud. Just like Bodog was sued. If Absolute doesn't show up, you can get a default judgement. Even though Absolute's assets are overseas, you will own the domain names AbsolutePoker.com and AbsolutePoker.net, and post your AbsolutePoker cheaters blog on it. This will "absolutely" damage their business (they've literally spent many tens of millions building that brand name), and would probably gain the injured parties a substantial payment from Absolutes owners, just to put this behind them. You may also be able to attach any advertising payments they make in U.S. media outlets, preventing them from ever advertising here agin.

And even though internet poker is of questionable legality, it's arguably not illegal for the individual Your goal is a strategy to get the judge to focus on Absolute's promises as a contract while making a ruling, and ignore side issues of legality (real lawyers here can comment on what they think is the proper strategies). Once again, Bodog's case supports this, the patent troll sued an internet gambling company in a U.S. jurisdiction and won.

And if Absolute shows up in court, you still have plenty of evidence and Absolute's own admissions to carry the day.
Old 10-22-2007, 02:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i read earlier that quebec authoraties are looking at this situation, and view the server farm as illeagal. if they decide to raid it, most of the online poker worlds severs are situated there... looking grim for online poker right now [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
You can bet on the fact that each site has backup servers elsewhere. Access may be a bit slower, but they are there.
Old 10-22-2007, 02:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In light of all of this, what I'm interested in now is why AP has come clean even to the extent that they have. There's presumably something I'm missing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, since you asked, you appear to be missing a basic understanding of damage control. Admit small problems relatively fast to minimize the chance of having to admit large problems later. That's why the truth comes out 10% at a time.

If you are somehow claiming that Absolute is completely invulnerable to all outside pressure... c'mon now.
Old 10-22-2007, 02:03 PM

gump,

"what I'm interested in now is why AP has come clean even to the extent that they have."

When there was no real info out there, they simply denied, denied, denied.

When thy found out that support had released info (and that other info had been leaked), they realized that denying it was not going to work anymore.

So they went into classic PR mode of neutralizing the info and making the story a non-event.

Look, even in this thread, there are numerous people saying that Absolute has come clean. Adanthar and Nat are no longer pushing this issue hard (understandably). People are saying give Absolute a chance to release more info. And they will probably release some info at some point in the future with promises for even more info. And the longer this goes on, the less and less of a subject of interest it will be.

Basically, they are making this fade away in a very controlled and managed fashion.
Old 10-22-2007, 02:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Basically, they are trying to make this fade away in a very controlled and managed fashion.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP. The final outcome is yet to be determined. It's their move at the moment.
Old 10-22-2007, 02:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]

If you are somehow claiming that Absolute is completely invulnerable to all outside pressure... c'mon now.

[/ QUOTE ]

What do you think is the most likely outcome of this, at this point? And how negative will it be for AP?

DesertCat's post is interesting.
Closed Thread