Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2007, 08:00 AM

Default Re: 10/20:River nut flush,villain leads out and I just call on paired

BB had TT for full house.

I probably should have included some reads/notes/previous hand experience.

SB donks a lot of hands on flop when he has a piece of it. Flush draw, weak pair, one pair, two pair, set. He even goes for turn check raises after donking flop sometimes.

SB also pays off a lot of hands on river after lots of action when pot is medium-big. Bottom pair, mid pair, A high.

Given that knowledge, I thought he would overcall in a spot like that.

I didn't see SB's hands, but I'm assuming A4s, I think he would have 3-bet with a pocket pair preflop.
Old 09-18-2007, 07:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I disagree with everyone on the flop and the river.

On the flop, there was a bet-out and a call. I'd be wary of one of them having a queen. Plus you just calling might leave them unsuspecting that you have a flush draw.

On the river, I don't see why people think SB will overcall. He checked the turn and just called, so he doesn't have a Q and he is unlikely to have a K. Now a 3rd diamond comes and he checks again. If he didn't like his hand very much on the turn, he surely can't like it very much now.

BB checked and called twice; that sure doesn't look like a Q to me. Now he bets out on the river. His hand thus most likely improved on the river; unless it's pocket tens, hero has him beat and thus a raise is called for.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is dead-on and I think you get 3-bet by AJ/worse flush about as often as SB overcalls too.

[/ QUOTE ]
Forgetting about the results for a moment - how can BB have AJ? Unless he is truly awful he likely wouldn't 3-bet from BB, he wouldn't call the flop after the cap and cold call of 2 bets pre-flop by SB, and he wouldn't call the turn... Unless it is specifically AJ of spades.

Also, assuming he is semi-retarded, he could then have KQs and KK as well as TT.

I am very wary of a river donk (even a turn donk) in 10/20 with a board that just made straights and flushes when there was a full house possibility all along. When I ignore this instinct I usually lose the extra 2 bets instead of making 1.
Old 09-19-2007, 05:17 AM

Andy is correct. You have to raise this river. Andy is also correct about not raising the flop.
Old 09-19-2007, 03:32 PM

call flop, raise river against most players. Given your read of SB it's worth considering the smooth call.

Despite the results, I think the BB has AJ here as much as TT. He can't really have a smaller flush unless he threebet two players with J9 of diamonds... very unlikely.