Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-2007, 07:18 AM

Default 10/20:River nut flush,villain leads out and I just call on paired flop

10/20 Hold'em (4 handed)
Preflop: Hero is UTG with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, SB calls, BB calls.

Flop: (12 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, BB calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (7.50 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls, BB calls.

River: (10.50 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls, SB folds.

Final Pot: 12.50 BB
Old 09-17-2007, 07:34 AM

Default Re: 10/20:River nut flush,villain leads out and I just call on paired

wow, seems like TT... maybe AJ, id probably raise in the heat of the battle, but thinking about it with the chance of an overall and the chance taht you might be losing and probably not folding to a three bet that calling might be the best option.
Old 09-17-2007, 10:21 AM

I like this play because at 10/20 you get a lot of overcalls in this size pot for 1 bet - especially because straights and flushed came in on the river. So you are still looking to get an extra bet with your call without risking losing an extra bet or two (if you wouldn't fold to a 3-bet).

I believe you are ahead here of the BB because ordinarily with a full house I would expect him to check raise a good percentage of the time (if not the majority) hoping to get the SB in for two bets as well.
Old 09-17-2007, 03:40 PM

I know this wasn't really your question, but I would have raised the flop, would anyone else?
Old 09-17-2007, 05:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I know this wasn't really your question, but I would have raised the flop, would anyone else?

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah standard free card play. Not showing down UI.

I like going for the overcall on river
Old 09-17-2007, 06:37 PM

Yes - as played, I like going for the river overcall.

Jeff
Old 09-17-2007, 06:49 PM

I disagree with everyone on the flop and the river.

On the flop, there was a bet-out and a call. I'd be wary of one of them having a queen. Plus you just calling might leave them unsuspecting that you have a flush draw.

On the river, I don't see why people think SB will overcall. He checked the turn and just called, so he doesn't have a Q and he is unlikely to have a K. Now a 3rd diamond comes and he checks again. If he didn't like his hand very much on the turn, he surely can't like it very much now.

BB checked and called twice; that sure doesn't look like a Q to me. Now he bets out on the river. His hand thus most likely improved on the river; unless it's pocket tens, hero has him beat and thus a raise is called for.
Old 09-17-2007, 07:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]

On the flop, there was a bet-out and a call. I'd be wary of one of them having a queen. Plus you just calling might leave them unsuspecting that you have a flush draw.

On the river, I don't see why people think SB will overcall. He checked the turn and just called, so he doesn't have a Q and he is unlikely to have a K. Now a 3rd diamond comes and he checks again. If he didn't like his hand very much on the turn, he surely can't like it very much now.

BB checked and called twice; that sure doesn't look like a Q to me. Now he bets out on the river. His hand thus most likely improved on the river; unless it's pocket tens, hero has him beat and thus a raise is called for.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is exactly my thoughts when reading the OP. SB's bet out on the flop looks too much like a Q and I really don't want to have to pay 3 bets to see the turn when we can see it for one.

On the river, if SB is bad enough to overcall here with a weak hand, then he might just be bad enough to call 2 cold (but he isn't likely to call either way).

It's hard to put BB on a hand, but I think that his play looks like AJ as much as it looks like TT, and there's 6 combos of AJ and 3 combos of TT out there. If he always 3-bets with TT and we always have to call, then the raise is break-even. I think there are enough 2 pair and other stupid hands for him to have occasionally that raising is still best in the long run.
Old 09-17-2007, 07:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
his play looks like AJ as much as it looks like TT

[/ QUOTE ]

TT would probably raise on the flop

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-18-2007, 01:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is dead-on and I think you get 3-bet by AJ/worse flush about as often as SB overcalls too.