Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-19-2007, 10:43 PM

Default Re: Blackberries / Treos / Smart Phones - Any good?

I've got a Blackberry which I use just for email/internet on the move. The sound quality/reception is pretty terrible so very rarely use the phone function.

The keypad's a nice size, so you can type at a decent speed, and it's fun to be able to surf/use Yahoo Messenger etc on the train etc. However, I can hardly ever get on sites like 2+2 where there's loads of flashing adverts/animated avatars because it goes into memory overload and shuts down on me, so for the specs that you've given, I wouldn't recommend it.
Old 03-19-2007, 10:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
what does support the iphone?

[/ QUOTE ]

Cingular is exclusive seller of iPhone.
Old 03-19-2007, 10:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've got a Blackberry which I use just for email/internet on the move. The sound quality/reception is pretty terrible so very rarely use the phone function.

The keypad's a nice size, so you can type at a decent speed, and it's fun to be able to surf/use Yahoo Messenger etc on the train etc. However, I can hardly ever get on sites like 2+2 where there's loads of flashing adverts/animated avatars because it goes into memory overload and shuts down on me, so for the specs that you've given, I wouldn't recommend it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good to know. I like blackberries and know a few people that have them, but it doesn't look like its quite what I'm looking for. Surfing/posting on 2+2 is definitely in my top 5-10 reasons for getting something like this. So if its no good at that, its a big minus. Although, I'm not sure how good any device will be with a site like this.
Old 03-19-2007, 10:53 PM

Google's making a phone. Wait for that.
Old 03-19-2007, 10:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Good to know. I like blackberries and know a few people that have them, but it doesn't look like its quite what I'm looking for. Surfing/posting on 2+2 is definitely in my top 5-10 reasons for getting something like this. So if its no good at that, its a big minus. Although, I'm not sure how good any device will be with a site like this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless you are in an EVDO area (and even so may still be slow) browsing 2p2 isn't easy on a Treo. There is alot of scrolling and waiting for screen refreshes. Page caching doesn't work the same as a laptop\desktop, so if you go back a page you still have to wait.

I use PDANet which allows me to tether my Treo to my laptop to get decent speeds. Says it connects at 2 mbps, but it's no where near that fast.
Old 03-19-2007, 11:16 PM

I would say honestly it depends on provider when it comes to phones. Some providers will only carry certain phones (Cingular-iPhone, Sprint/Verizon- Q etc.)

First let me say that the Treo 650 is horrible. The call quality was decent (6 out of 10). Bluetooth call quality was horrible (4 out of 10. could not be more than 2 feet away from the phone). And the speakphone was below-average (4-5 out of 10). I would NEVER buy this phone again.

I personally think believe if I am going to get a phone, it has to be able to make clear calls, which the 650 did not.

Sprint- I would say the Treo 700wx (windows mobile OS) or 700p (palm OS) are both decent. Comes with all the feature you could ever want (bluetooth, camera, touchscreen, calendar, email, watch TV/listen mp3 etc), and you can get the full data package.

Also the Q Pro (lots of problems fixed + better battery life) is supposed to be good. I would wait until that comes out before switching to sprint.

Cingular/T-Mobile- The Nokia 62 is a great phone. It is bigger than most smart phones, but very light. No camera (+/- depending on who you talk to). Great browser and email applications. Handset, bluetooth, and speakerphone quality are all 8.5+ (when I am on speaker phone, nobody knows it). No Wi-Fi but the E61 (unlocked international version) has it.

iPhone- $$$$$ but baller none the less. I don't know too much info about it.

The blackjack is solid, but short battery life. mp3, email camera.

The Cingular 8525 is an amazing phone. Touchscreen, full QWERTY keyboard, bluetooth, Wi-Fi, email, browser. This phone is really close to a complete phone. Battery life is great too. You can get this phone unlocked.

I know the data package is a big deal for you. What you can do is just get the 't-zones' from T-Mobile or get Cingular's 'Unlimited text/data pack'. Both of these will allow web access/browsing. The only difference between those packs, and the pack for the "PDA/Smartphone data pack" is the name. You just get charged more for it. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] Just don't let them find out you have the PDA phone [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]. I think the 't-zones' is 5.99 and Cingulars plan is 12.99?? (unlimited text messages + data transfer)

Honestly, it sucks but just try out a couple till you find one you like. That is what I did, but then again, I am picky w/ my phone.
Old 03-19-2007, 11:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless you are in an EVDO area (and even so may still be slow) browsing 2p2 isn't easy on a Treo. There is alot of scrolling and waiting for screen refreshes. Page caching doesn't work the same as a laptop\desktop, so if you go back a page you still have to wait.

I use PDANet which allows me to tether my Treo to my laptop to get decent speeds. Says it connects at 2 mbps, but it's no where near that fast.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I kind of figured 2+2 is a not that friendly of a site.

How do you find the phone quality on the Treo? This will also be my only phone, so it needs to be decent as a phone.
Old 03-20-2007, 12:00 AM

I'm basically stuck with Verizon for phone service, so there'd have to be a big advantage in getting something with another provider. I have no desire to have two phones.

I'm not a big fan of Palm OS (I have a Palm Pilot that I got for free, and I never use it). I really like the idea of being able to view excel files on the pda as well as doing web surfing.

When I bought my phone from Verizon I'm sure I had a trial period. Does anybody know if they actually do that? If so I'll buy the 700wx right away and give 'er a test drive.
Old 03-20-2007, 12:05 AM

I like my V

Old 03-20-2007, 12:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm basically stuck with Verizon for phone service, so there'd have to be a big advantage in getting something with another provider. I have no desire to have two phones.

I'm not a big fan of Palm OS (I have a Palm Pilot that I got for free, and I never use it). I really like the idea of being able to view excel files on the pda as well as doing web surfing.

When I bought my phone from Verizon I'm sure I had a trial period. Does anybody know if they actually do that? If so I'll buy the 700wx right away and give 'er a test drive.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't know how there have possibly been two threads today where this link was appropriate, but.... http://www.technologyevangelist.com/...0p_vs_tre.html