Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-19-2007, 10:13 PM

Default Blackberries / Treos / Smart Phones - Any good?

I want a handheld device that gives me unlimited bandwidth, a decent browser, a full qwerty keyboard and can work as my phone (since I don't want to carry around a phone as well). I'm stuck with Verizon (for a couple of reasons) and their data plan is $50/month. I can afford that, but I don't want to spend it if I don't get much use out of it.

Does anybody have any recommendations for a device that fits this criteria?

Does anybody own one and love it/hate it?

Do you get your money's worth?

Any other thoughts?

Normally I'd try to seed this post with a little information about various options, but I'm particularly interested in first hand information from people that own them (and I'm feeling a bit lazy).
Old 03-19-2007, 10:17 PM

Default Re: Blackberries / Treos / Smart Phones - Any good?

Treos suck in my experience, very unreliable. Blackberry is a good brand but they have a proprietary data package that you have to use, possibly in addition to the $50 verizon charge (it was additional at sprint). Your best bet IMO is going for something like the Motorola Q, which is a very new and fairly high-end smartphone. One of my friends has one, I've used it a good deal and it's excellent. Also, is the Verizon coverage EVDO (high speed) where you plan on using this? Otherwise it's not worth getting a smartphone at all. Make sure whatever you get is EVDO capable as it makes an enormous difference for data/internet usage.
Old 03-19-2007, 10:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Treos suck in my experience, very unreliable. Blackberry is a good brand but they have a proprietary data package that you have to use, possibly in addition to the $50 verizon charge (it was additional at sprint). Your best bet IMO is going for something like the Motorola Q, which is a very new and fairly high-end smartphone. One of my friends has one, I've used it a good deal and it's excellent. Also, is the Verizon coverage EVDO (high speed) where you plan on using this? Otherwise it's not worth getting a smartphone at all. Make sure whatever you get is EVDO capable as it makes an enormous difference for data/internet usage.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm in New York so I'd assume its high speed. Definitely something I'll look at before buying.

Here's a link to the Motorola Q (since it was my OP, I can't be tooooo lazy about linking to devices)
Old 03-19-2007, 10:24 PM

Samsung Blackjack has also gotten good reviews.
Old 03-19-2007, 10:25 PM

The Motorola Q is awful. You will be lucky to go 8 hrs on a full battery. Check howard forums or phonescoop.com for more info. The Q Pro supposedly is coming out soon.

I have a Treo 700w w\ Verizon and am pretty happy with it. It locks up a few times a week (which is what I expected). The data fee is $45 in addition to whatever plan you have.

The 700wx has twice as much RAM but from what I've read has some bluetooth issues.

Treocentral.com and Treonauts.com have good info re: Treos.
Old 03-19-2007, 10:29 PM

Too obv?
Old 03-19-2007, 10:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Samsung Blackjack has also gotten good reviews.

[/ QUOTE ]

Blackjack

I'm not too impressed by the look, and it doesn't look like Verizon supports it.
Old 03-19-2007, 10:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The Motorola Q is awful. You will be lucky to go 8 hrs on a full battery. Check howard forums or phonescoop.com for more info. The Q Pro supposedly is coming out soon.

I have a Treo 700w w\ Verizon and am pretty happy with it. It locks up a few times a week (which is what I expected). The data fee is $45 in addition to whatever plan you have.

The 700wx has twice as much RAM but from what I've read has some bluetooth issues.

Treocentral.com and Treonauts.com have good info re: Treos.

[/ QUOTE ]

Treo 700wx

I like this. Of course it has to be a bit more expensive... Definitely in the running. To be honest bluetooth issues don't both me since I never use it.
Old 03-19-2007, 10:36 PM

iPhone

I'll be honest, it intrigues me. And it looks pretty kickass. But I definitely want to have a keyboard, and since Verizon doesn't support the iPhone (I don't believe) its out.
Old 03-19-2007, 10:42 PM

what does support the iphone?