Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-02-2007, 05:23 AM

Default Defending Blinds in Limit

Hey guys I was wondering what you guys defend your blinds with against a button or cutoff raise. Just post your range in general so I can see if I am too tight defending the blinds. I will post mine later just want to see where I stand in blind defense in comparison to you guys. I am in a pretty bad downswing (now at 365 BB), and my stacks just seem to wither away as I sit at a table and I am wondering if it has a lot to do with me being too tight from the BB and SB. Thanks guys in advance.
Old 02-02-2007, 05:36 AM

Default Re: Defending Blinds in Limit

I can assure you, with quite a bit of certainty, that bad blind defense would not be the main cause when you're down 365 BB. Well...if you always do it no matter what then maybe...

How about sloppy table selection? Maybe you've become over confident and go with "well..this table is good enough"? There's a thin line between -0.5/BB and +3BB/100 on table selection alone in my experience.
Old 02-02-2007, 05:41 AM

I am playing on UB at night at the moment and all the tables have stats shown at around $11-$14 and 27%-33% players seeing flop longhanded. So those are good enough to play in my opinion.
Old 02-02-2007, 05:57 AM

What limit?
Old 02-02-2007, 06:00 AM

$1/$2 Limit Longhanded
Old 02-02-2007, 06:09 AM

Well, that's over my BR and I just play .25/.50 long handed at stars. That said, I would never volountarily(SP) sit at a table w 27-33% players to the flop. That's like you and 1-2 more guys. In essence it means that you're sitting at a table with your peers and of course it's hard to win when everyone is equally good/bad. Combine that with your long run of bad cards/not catching sets etc. and it can be one part of the equation.

I like to see table numbers in the upper 30's to mid 40's, then I'm sure there's at least 2 overly loose players in there. But maybe such tables doesn't exist in $1/$2.
Old 02-02-2007, 06:12 AM

I appreciate the input anyone have a post about defending the blinds? Thanks guys.
Old 02-02-2007, 06:44 AM

To me, blind defense is very situational. Usually, I'd like to have at least one card over T in my hand and the lower the cards, the more connected I want them to be. Then again, if a maniac does it I don't mind defending with lower suited connectors. The only thing I never do is defend against calling stations, that's too expensive to me.

Most of the times I decide to defend I raise no matter what I hold. If the stealer is a LAG I might just as well call and try to outplay him from the flop onwards. I believe (probably unfounded) that just smooth calling a LAGs steal attempt makes him more nervous than anything because that's what he'd love to do in the same situation when he's got a monster. If you raise on the flop there's a good chance he folds to a turn bet from you. But, I wouldn't do this completely without a hand. Decent pair, good draw etc.
Old 02-02-2007, 06:50 AM

I defend quite lose, J6 suited is probably about the lowest I'll defend w/ HU. If there is a raise and a call then my standard are much higher.

Player and position dependant.
Old 02-02-2007, 07:00 AM

I don't know exact figures, and as so oftne "it depends", in this case on what kind of player the alleged blind-stealer is.

I think FoldSBtoSteal and FoldBBtoSteal are normally something like 75-80% and 55-65%, but I don't have my PT here.

Have a look at this post:

Evaluating your PT statistics

It contains a number of checks on your play stats (about 10) that help in identifying areas where you are leaking money.