Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2006, 12:42 AM

Default Re: Fatty encouragement

You don't have to do long runs everyday - throw in some sprints like 4x100s 4x200s and 4x400s, and some 40 yd. sprints as well. Preferably a track or grass, open parking lot with little-to-no cars if you can't find anything else.
Old 11-16-2006, 01:13 AM

I'll assume you meant 10-12 mins per mile. Without training specifically for this event, you will no doubt be walking most of it out of breath. I'd advise you to pace yourself at a fast walking pace
Old 11-16-2006, 01:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Are you running every day? If so, you should seriously consider giving your poor knees and shins a break every couple days until you get used to running again.

Otherwise, looks pretty good. Not too bad for a former smoker who is a little overweight.

Keep going.

[/ QUOTE ]

If the shins ever start hurting I'll take a day off. One thing that was almost a show stopper was severe Achilles tendon pain in both legs after the very first run. I stretched them for 2 solid hours, and for the next 3 days the only pain has been muscular (quads, calves, those muscles on the side of the stomach).

The knees are actually feeling better than they have in a long time. They used to pop and hurt when I'd sit on a toilet, but not anymore. Running might be bad for your knees, but right now the improvement in the strength of the surrounding muscles has been more of a benefit than the jolting has been a detriment.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously, don't wait until the shins start to hurt to take a day off. By the time they start hurting, 1 day off won't cut it. How bout bicycling every other day.
Old 11-16-2006, 02:46 AM

One trick for helping shin splints is to put a towell flat on the floor and try to scrunch it up using your toes. I used to do a lot of rope skipping and it seemed to work well.
Old 11-16-2006, 03:19 AM

like others have said, dont overtrain! Remember, its not the actual exercise that makes you stronger or faster, its the recovery afterwards.

also, good job! even tho you dont plan on updating, I hope you at least post a trip report after the marathon
Old 11-16-2006, 03:23 AM

Dude from all your posts I thought you were a goddamn beast that could kill anyone.

I guess I'm disappointed?
Old 11-16-2006, 03:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'll assume you meant 10-12 mins per mile. Without training specifically for this event, you will no doubt be walking most of it out of breath. I'd advise you to pace yourself at a fast walking pace

[/ QUOTE ]

If I could jog any slower, and get farther without having to walk, then I would.
Old 11-16-2006, 03:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Dude from all your posts I thought you were a goddamn beast that could kill anyone.

I guess I'm disappointed?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah, I could only kill 90%, and that's just because 90% have no clue or are worse at fighting than me.