Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-02-2007, 10:00 PM

Default LO8 1/2 - Can you find all the ways this hand was misplayed?

Full Tilt Poker
Limit Omaha Ring game
Limit: $1/$2
9 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (9 players) Hero is SB with 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, 3 folds, CO calls, Button calls, Hero calls, BB checks.

Flop: 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (6SB, 6 players)
Hero checks, BB checks, <font color="#cc0000">UTG bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, CO calls, Button folds, Hero calls, BB calls.

Turn: 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (5.5BB, 5 players)
Hero checks, BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#cc0000">UTG+1 bets</font>, CO calls, Hero calls, BB calls, <font color="#cc0000">UTG raises</font>, <font color="#cc0000">UTG+1 3-bets</font>, CO calls, Hero calls, <font color="#cc0000">BB caps</font>, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, CO calls, Hero calls.

River: K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (25.5BB, 5 players)
Hero checks, BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#cc0000">UTG+1 bets</font>, CO folds, Hero calls, BB calls, UTG calls.

Results:
Final pot: 29.5BB

So I'm new to Omaha hi/low and I'm still getting use to quality starting hands and when to go nuts and when to fold hands.

I wouldn't have played this hand outside of the blinds, but I'm guessing my first mistake was calling.

On the flop I called figuring I could fill up, hit the straight or a flush, and I still have a chance at the low. Now that I've had time to look at it, I've realized most of those hands are 2nd, 3rd, or 7th best hands which probably means I should have folded here.

On the turn I called the first bet because I still had hands that might win, as well as a few outs to hands that were better. I don't think this first call was bad (but I'm open for criticism). I'm pretty sure I should have folded to the 3-bet, and calling the cap is a good play given how I've already [censored] up the hand (I assume).

I think the river call also makes sense, again because I've [censored] up the hand this much already.

Any comments?
Old 02-03-2007, 04:44 PM

Default Re: LO8 1/2 - Can you find all the ways this hand was misplayed?

Call preflop, fold flop, fold turn as played unless you're really excited about 1/6th of the pot at most, call river as played since you've already invested so much in a losing spot you've kinda gotta follow through.
Old 02-03-2007, 07:48 PM

With a bet and 2 calls.. even in 1/2 you're not looking too good on the flop.. ya your draw is pretty. But you can't make the nuts unless an ace comes, and then you are splitting the pot.

Definetly fold the turn, you can't get trapped for all those bets with a live 3 and straight only going to the 6
Old 02-04-2007, 02:56 AM

fold flop unless u think everyone is 100% full of sh!t. I you continue past flop which u shouldnt, call turn call river.

Moral of the story...fold fop.
Old 02-04-2007, 04:02 AM

Preflop - it may be a losing play, but I think I often complete with 3 wheel cards myself. If you're lucky, a wheel might wind up nut high+nut low.

Flop - No doubt someone has qualified low and you're likely fighting for half the pot. But with 4 outs (4s and 5s) to fill up for high half, 4 outs (As) to wheel for low+2nd high straight, and 9 outs (clubs) for 3rd flush, calling one bet seems worthwhile (not to mention your two pair has a small chance to win high unimproved). An aggressive player might even raise, but I suspect call &gt; raise &gt; fold. You'd of course much rather see an A, 4, or 5 than a club.

Turn - The 6 is bad for you - an A no longer gives you 2nd high, your full house outs are no longer nuts, and your 6-high straight is losing to 7- and 8- high straights. You still have the same outs as before, but it'll likely cost you more to see the river (villians behind will raise their straights to charge flush draws). Calling the first bet is a marginal mistake, calling the 3-bet is almost certainly a bigger mistake.

River - With 4 players still around after the turn, your 6-high straight is likely good only if all 3 villians were playing A3xx for low or chasing flush draws. Given that you hold a 3 and a couple clubs and with the betting on the turn, that's not too likely, so I'd given 1 villian credit for a better straight and find a fold. However, you have enough pot equity that calling is probably only a small mistake now that you've come this far.
Old 02-07-2007, 01:40 PM

I think the call on fourth is the only big mistake. Then again, I think calling three cold is as close to a mortal sin as you get in poker. I can't make it four with the second nuts two ways if you have ANY respect for the other opponents in a multiway pot so I think I'm folding here.

I don't fault preflop call from the SB and I don't fault the flop call but in my mind I'm looking for probablly a four outer to come in to continue, else I'm dumping fourth.

The river play is academic given you got that far and the pot is so big you can't really get away from it, but the trick was to not get yourself in a spot where you needed to get away from it with second nut both ways and a non primo redraw in your flush.