Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2007, 02:53 AM

Default What\'s the call?

A couple weeks ago a bunch of friends, and friends of friends, had a home game tourny. $100 buy in which is rather large for us. Anyway, I am in the cutoff and look down at 8s-8h, everyone folded to me so I raise 3x BB, button and SB fold and the BB calls. Flop is 10h-9s-Qd, BB checks and I bet 3/4 pot, BB calls. Turn is 2d, BB checks, I bet the pot and BB calls. River is 8c, giving me a set but 4-card straight on board. BB checks and I bet 2/3 pot, BB thinks for a minute then says "I call," I say "three eights" and flip my cards over, BB looks at his hand and says "damn, NH, only a pair of queens you win and flips over Qc-Jc." As I pulling the pot and some of the chips are stacked, 2 or 3 other players at the table yell out to the BB "you, idiot, you win with a straight" and BB says "oh yeah, I guess I won." Noone at the table could verify how much was in the pot for this hand (mucho alcohol involved) so one of us was going to be stiffed either way.

What should be done here?
Old 10-06-2007, 03:21 AM

Default Re: What\'s the call?

A basic principle of poker is that cards speak, so it was correct to award the pot to the pocket QQ even if he miscalled his hand.

I realize this is not your question. Usually even with mucho alcohol involved, the action can be reconstructed (you seem to rembmer the betting pretty well even now) for a fairly accurate award of the pot even after you stacked some of it. If everyone is too drunk, you will just have to both guess at how much you owe and negotiate a settlement.
Old 10-06-2007, 10:27 AM

Default Re: What\'s the call?

Give him the pot to the best of your combined abilities. Better one of you gets shorted a little bit than he gets shorted all of it.