Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-20-2007, 11:13 PM

Default Re: A list of businesses that \"print money\" -- mostly cash dealing

[ QUOTE ]
Virtual Goods

[ QUOTE ]

There’s a commonly held misperception that virtual goods are only for online gamers. Both Dogster and HotorNot are succeeding with a hybrid ad/virtual goods business model. Currently, over 40% of HotorNot’s revenue comes from virtual goods.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now that's printing money. Flip a bit here and there and charge real money for it. Facebook and others also have the same thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

The closest thing I can think of printing money (in a legal, literal sense of the phrase) Is playing MMORPG's (such as World of Warcraft or Everquest 2), and selling your game money that you earn while playing (this game money literally is created out of thin air), and then you can sell it for real money. The more game money you make, the more money you just printed for yourself.

However, the downfall is that there are ton's of people in 3rd world countries playing and selling for a fraction of what we would be willing to do this for (in terms of hourly wage). If you can write a bot or find a method (usually an exploit) to generate lots of game money for you, then you are literally printing money.

Although, most of the other ideas in this thread have more long-term and higher dollar amount potential, this is literally printing money. Your basically creating money in another currency and then converting it to dollars.

Obviously though, creating a site like hotornot is going to be bring in a lot more revenue than you possibly could playing a video game.
Old 06-21-2007, 01:06 AM

Basically you're saying it's good in a business with high margins, right?
Old 06-21-2007, 01:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes exactly. Get in a good growing business with high margins and you are set, even if the good times only last for 2-3 years.
Old 06-21-2007, 01:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, basically he is saying I am terribly naive and should be the top target of any guru scammer (with the caveat of I might be leveling and hunting for business).

J
Old 06-21-2007, 02:34 PM

Payday lenders
Old 06-21-2007, 03:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Yes exactly. Get in a good growing business with high margins and you are set, even if the good times only last for 2-3 years.

[/ QUOTE ]

any info on the failure rates people entering these industries? i would imagine it is quite high.
Old 06-21-2007, 05:43 PM

Aside from ecommerce, ANY internet business basically prints money.

I got interested in internet marketing from this forum. I stopped posting after this merged with finance and investing. It's nice to stop by and see a post that's not about the stock market. (I still can't see why people consider anything less than a 30% ROI over a year even halfway decent.)

Anyway, many people seem to think that adsense or selling ebooks are the only things people do online to make money. It's so freaking easy, and cheap, to start a profitable online business right now. Anyone with a couple of hundred dollars, some creativity, and a weekend learning about HTML, adwords, and SEO can have a profitable business up within a week.

Online poker has made many non poker players rich. There are people making millions a month off of ebay without listing an item.

You can promote anything on the internet, and if you're smart, make money off of it without lifting a finger after you get it set up. At this moment in history, I'd say getting into internet marketing is the easiest and cheapest way to start a business. You just have to get creative. You can make money off of every business you listed in that post without operating one yourself, just by promoting one online.