Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-07-2007, 01:33 PM

Default What goes around...

I was playing 10/20 LHE at Foxwoods in a fairly loose game so I limp in SB with T9o. There are three to the flop, which comes down 87x. There is a bet by the BB, followed by a raise by a guy at the far end of the table. I call the two bets. The turn is a J giving me the nuts and I call the raiser's bet.

Its two to the river which is a blank - I have the nuts. I check raise and he raises back. I re-raise and he raises back. I think about just calling because it is clearly a chop - but I raise one more time. He calls and says I have the straight. Which he doesn't. He misread his hand and he has nothing: a Ten and a 6.

I turn to the guy next to me, who is a pro, and probably the best player we see at 10/20 (he plays 20/40 a lot) and ask him if I should give the other guy back some or all of his bets. The pro's response was that I should not - because then everybody at the table would start having trouble reading their hands...

So I did nothing.

Time passes and the guy stays in the game - which I thought was very courageous. He moves down to the table two to my right and we start talking. I tell him I have misread a hand which cost me, and the pro, who had left, had told me about going 7 bets on the river with what he thought was the nuts, only to be saved by another pro who was too lazy to put more bets in.

I ask the guy if the glare was a problem where he was sitting - because he had put on sungleasses. He said no. So I asked if they were prescription sunglasses. He said no. He is blind in one eye and almost lost the other eye. He says he misread two hands already in this game. He said that he doesn't care about losing the money, he is just grateful every morning that he wakes up alive still with the ability to see a naked woman!!!

So the game continues, I am about to go. He is into the game for over $1,000. We are in a hand together with one other player - no raise pre-flop. I am SB with Q9s. The flop comes down with two of my suit and I have 2 overcards. I bet, call, call. Turn is a Q, putting a second flush draw up. I bet, call, call. River is a K. Not my suit. Not the third guy's suit. Check, check, he bets. I call. AK wins.

A few hands later. He calls, I raise pre-flop on the button with KTs. One other guy in. Flop is TTx, the x being my suit. BB bets, my guy calls, I call. Turn is Q of my suit. BB bets, my guy calls, I raise, BB folds, my guy calls and says "God, hit me on the river". As the words are out of his mouth, the dealer rivers an A not of my suit. He bets, I call. He shows me KJ for the win.

I can't remember ever being glad about taking two beats so close together on the river like that. The guy was beaming, and I wished him well. I left, rather than play one more circuit, because I thought we were about even, he and I - and I wasn't sure how God felt about it...

Why I posted this story here and not in the Medium Stakes low content thread, is I am curious about opinions about offering to return some or all of the guy's bets. Both at the time, and when I found out he was blind in one eye. Fire away.

Cliff notes: "What goes around comes around" or "You reap what you sow" or "Karma" or "Thats poker" or maybe even "Wake up every morning with a smile on your face and show the world all the love in your heart" (Carole King circa 1970).

However, if I had been a nicer guy, the cliff notes might have been, "No good deed goes unpunished!" ...