Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-27-2006, 12:08 PM

Default Taj Mahal SNGs...MORE FISH THAN PARTY! (Hand Analysis)

So if none of you have ever played the SNGs at the Taj Mahal in Atlantic City, you should definately give it a shot. They run $50+15 and $100+20 all day long. They are very similar to playing the turbo tourneys online, except they are winner take all. I played about a half dozen of them this last saturday and did not run into a single decent SNG player. I won first 3 times, busted once, and the others i chopped with the last person. There was one hand that got me thinking and i'll do my best to describe it.

Level 2 of tournament $50-$100 blinds (they start at $25-$50) 8 players left. everyone starts with $1000. 2 players with approx $2000 and everyone else about even.

Hero is the Button:

UTG (villian) limps in
everyone folds to me (HERO) [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Hero has AQs
Hero raises to $300 thinking villian (who seemed fairly tight so far) might have limped with a good hand.
SB and BB fold
Villian Calls
Flop (8s Qh 2h) Pot = $750
Villian looks at his cards again and checks
I instantly put him on a flush draw
I push all in (we had even stacks)
and he instantly calls without hesitating
Turn 7c
River Ah
Villian shows Jh5h for the winning flush.

Did i play this hand wrong? my thinking after i was smoking a ciggarette outside the poker room was that if i had went against everything i've read about punishing the drawing hands and not giving people unlimited odds to chase, and let him see the turn for free, since i know i should only be scared of a heart, or possibly a K. i think it would have been a much better play if i had checked after the flop and took my chances of the turn being non heart then push after the turn is already out, he would've been much less likely to gamble with just one card left to come. do any of you agree with this thinking? do you have any better suggestions as to how i should've played this hand?

thanks in advance!