Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Student Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-25-2007, 07:19 AM

Default 21 and i feel like mid life crisis

K so i just turned 21, and i feel like i'm losing my best years right now. None of my friends want to party, and i want to drink and go out all the freaking time. The perfect atmosphere for this is obviously college.

When i was 19 i went to my local college (with no residence), but lived at home. I didn't meet many people. Went back again this year, to the same college while still living at home, didn't meet many people.

Not really any idea what i wanna do with my life

I'll pause here and tell you all i know that posting on the 2+2 forums for advice is ill advised, but any personal experiences will help me with my decisions.

So now i'm 21, moved into an apartment to try and meet people and play poker full time. Theres like 500 people in my apartment, and nobody is ever around. They all go to school, and come home. The halls are always dead.

I've done well at poker, but i'm realizing at a very early age that money does not buy happiness. I drive a mercedes and my bankroll is around 20k. Not hugely impressive for this website, but not bad to have 50kish to your name at just turning 21.

So here's what i wanna do. Leave the city and go to a big college thats like a city. Van Wilder style. Take classes that interest me (guitar, maybe some personal training stuff).. cause i really have no idea what i want to do. Leave my nice apartment for a crappy dorm, but thats key. Live on campus. Sleepless nights, lots of drinking, parties all the time. God i'd kill for that for a year. I really don't care if it costs me 15k to do that... i feel like my life is passing me by.

So, my question to you guys.

a) What'd ya think?
b) I currently live in canada, city population about 350,000. Not too small, but the university here is awesome. like 25,000 students, awesome residence. Been to a few parties there and its exactly what i want. BUT i don't wanna move into residence in my own city.
c) College big enough to have city-like atmosphere, but not so big that you NEVER have to leave it.
d) Gotta have good reputation for wicked dorms and parties
e) Can't be ivy league... i got like 15k for the year and whatever i make playing poker. My grades are like straight B's
f) Can a canadian play online poker in america?

Thats all the questions i can think of for now. Any real input is truly appreciated.
Old 02-25-2007, 07:40 AM

Default Re: 21 and i feel like mid life crisis

[ QUOTE ]
K so i just turned 21, and i feel like i'm losing my best years right now. None of my friends want to party, and i want to drink and go out all the freaking time. The perfect atmosphere for this is obviously college.

When i was 19 i went to my local college (with no residence), but lived at home. I didn't meet many people. Went back again this year, to the same college while still living at home, didn't meet many people.

Not really any idea what i wanna do with my life

I'll pause here and tell you all i know that posting on the 2+2 forums for advice is ill advised, but any personal experiences will help me with my decisions.

So now i'm 21, moved into an apartment to try and meet people and play poker full time. Theres like 500 people in my apartment, and nobody is ever around. They all go to school, and come home. The halls are always dead.

I've done well at poker, but i'm realizing at a very early age that money does not buy happiness. I drive a mercedes and my bankroll is around 20k. Not hugely impressive for this website, but not bad to have 50kish to your name at just turning 21.

So here's what i wanna do. Leave the city and go to a big college thats like a city. Van Wilder style. Take classes that interest me (guitar, maybe some personal training stuff).. cause i really have no idea what i want to do. Leave my nice apartment for a crappy dorm, but thats key. Live on campus. Sleepless nights, lots of drinking, parties all the time. God i'd kill for that for a year. I really don't care if it costs me 15k to do that... i feel like my life is passing me by.

So, my question to you guys.

a) What'd ya think?
b) I currently live in canada, city population about 350,000. Not too small, but the university here is awesome. like 25,000 students, awesome residence. Been to a few parties there and its exactly what i want. BUT i don't wanna move into residence in my own city.
c) College big enough to have city-like atmosphere, but not so big that you NEVER have to leave it.
d) Gotta have good reputation for wicked dorms and parties
e) Can't be ivy league... i got like 15k for the year and whatever i make playing poker. My grades are like straight B's
f) Can a canadian play online poker in america?

Thats all the questions i can think of for now. Any real input is truly appreciated.

[/ QUOTE ]

Get into Rez at UBC. Plenty of drunk [censored] etc and plenty of parties.
Old 02-25-2007, 08:36 AM

ubc i think is too big for me. Its freaking gargantuous, like 50,000 students. I heard if your classes are far apart, it can take an hour to get from one to the other. I want a campus that would take no more than 15 minutes to bike from one end to the other. Plus i don't know if my grades are good enough to get in there, i got like a 75% average.

(if you know uvic, its designed as a ring. Theres one road that goes around in a circle. If i rode my bike from one end to the other, it wouldn't take more than 10 mins)
Old 02-25-2007, 11:01 AM

Go to the University of Dayton in Ohio. I visited some friends there- all they do is drink and party. they have this place where upperclassmen live called "the ghetto" and its just a bunch of houses with probably like 6-10 guys id say living together and all they do is just party. everyone is friendly and it is a great place to meet people. they have some classes you would be interested in too, like sports management and everything. great place.
Old 02-25-2007, 12:12 PM

I have some friends at Dalhousie(halifax) and from what I gather, they pretty much go out and get wasted every night, though I think you can do this at any university really. I doubt most kids will want to get wasted every night, so try and find a few groups of kids so you can rotate. Live in res, it makes a difference.
Old 02-25-2007, 02:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My grades are like straight B's

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
i got like a 75% average.

[/ QUOTE ]

How'd you do in math?
Old 02-25-2007, 04:58 PM

I went to Dayton my first year, bad idea. Being that it is a big party school my grades suffered bad, i only went there one year. Im on my 3rd school right now and dayton was definitly best for parties. Walking the streets of the ghetto, dont worry not what u think it really is just called that, its like a suberb of student housing and greek houses. 95% are open parties. The problem is for one its not easy to get in, its a private school and very very very expensive, it cost 30k for me and that was with a 5k scholarship. I would just apply to a basic state school and live in the dorms. the dorm life is much better thant rying to make friends in apartments.
Old 02-25-2007, 05:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
My grades are like straight B's

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
i got like a 75% average.

[/ QUOTE ]

How'd you do in math?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think he got a B, which is 75%.

How did YOU do in math?
Old 02-25-2007, 05:50 PM

American schools are almost entirely 80%-90% is B range.
Old 02-25-2007, 06:12 PM

I've seen this discussion before, but Canada apparently has a much laxer grading scale than the US. Like 70-80% is a B.